9 replies to this topic

#1 RayC

RayC

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:04 AM

I have a 1980 Mini saloon which I put pucca seat extensions on the front 5 years ago. Last week my local testing station failed them as requiring LVV certification here in NZ. Below are their reasons when I challenged the ruling. Has anyone else anywhere had this problem or has anyone some good arguments I can use so I can put them back on? Anyone on NZ achieved LVV certification for this addition or like me think it is going a bit too far. LVV costs NZ$250 minimum.

"The wording in my opinion says it needs a cert as it alters the attachment of seat to anchorage and changes the position of seatbelt anchorages. While this may sound harsh, looking at the brackets they don’t look that good, which leads me to doubt that they are of a known and reputable brand, for the following reasons, all of which need to be inspected and assessed:

The original seat bracket fits between two brackets on the floor so is in double shear. The new bracket fits in the same place but only attaches to the seat in single shear.

The loads are moved onto the top of the crossmember not the front

The hole in the bracket is a large oval, unlike the original.

The seat is relocated sideways by the thickness of the bracket

If it is a tipping seat the rear legs sit on a different part of the floor that wasn’t intended to take the seat load

The bolts on the bracket look smaller than the original bolt, no washers

The front of the bracket sits up higher than original so is a higher risk of harming the occupant

The bracket is multi-hole so the seat could be mounted up higher, altering the loads further, as well as altering the seat angle.

Regards

Paul Deans

VTNZ Technical Support Consultant "

#2 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:16 AM

Do you have the ones like this? I bought a set and thought they were a bit flimsy and didn't end up using them. I can understand all the reasoning above

http://www.minispare...s/BG5001MS.aspx

Do you have the single hole seat brackets, or the later multi hole ones like this?

http://www.minispare...ts/24A1495.aspx

#3 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

Something like this might get around the problem. Since it extension bracket mounts to both sides of the cross-member and would probably assist with load transfer to the shell:

http://www.gbcarpart...djuster2&cat=10

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:22 AM

I suspect without an Engineering Document or Test Certificate, you can write all the letters you like until the cows come home and they won't budge.

Seat Mounts are a serious safety item and one few countries will allow compromise on.

Those extensions, while popular are not sanctioned for fitting here in Australia.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:56 AM

I could rip that letter to bits as it reads like he has actually over thought it without looking at the car.

but at the same time I fully agree with everything he has written.

and as above without documentation good luck. saying that I will have a look if there was ever any documentation done for the German market.

#6 russo

russo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Nelson Inc.

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:06 PM

I suspect without an Engineering Document or Test Certificate, you can write all the letters you like until the cows come home and they won't budge.

Seat Mounts are a serious safety item and one few countries will allow compromise on.

Those extensions, while popular are not sanctioned for fitting here in Australia.

Tell me about it. I had so many issues with getting my Mini certified due to modifications in NZ, I almost gave up. You are right Moke Spider, they won't budge.

#7 RayC

RayC

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:13 PM

I removed them to get the WOF and was talking to the guy who did the reinspection who used to have a Mini who was sympathetic. There are so many other safety concerns with Mini's compared to modern cars that this is minor. Think perhaps I should paint them black or rusty for better camouflage as being shiny they stand out! Or the longer mounts seem a better approach.

#8 NZMini1275

NZMini1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:05 AM

My car passes warrant with them on and we’re fitted when certified also
I am going to change them though as they didn’t pass scrutineering for Motorsport event

#9 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:22 AM

Fit a set of these
https://rover.ebay.c...tm/173680450515
All one piece, should be nothing to complain about

Edited by Chris.Williams, 08 December 2018 - 11:24 AM.

#10 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

They are pretty easy to take off and add back later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users