7 replies to this topic

#1 OhDear

OhDear

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

My son has just passed his driving test today.  we have a little toyota yaris for him to learn in, insurance was £400 a year as a learner.  now he has passed his test..they are asking for 2.2k   anyone have any good advice on how to find cheaper insurance for the yaris.  all help would be gratefully excepted :D  and no he ain't getting my mini :D thats my fun 

#2 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

No cheap way just pay.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,687 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:29 PM

Might be worth trying Black Box insurance:-

https://www.moneysup...insurance-work/

Having a parent on policy as a named driver used to help, but parent as a main driver is usually rejected as 'fronting' these days.

#4 DJS911

DJS911

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:44 AM

Have just gone through exactly the same thing with my 17 year old lad.
He passed on Monday and has a ‘08 1.6 Astra.
Best deal we got was £997 with Co-Op Young Driver insurance.
That’s fully comp, with him as the policyholder and main driver. Wife and I are named drivers.
It is with a black box though much to his disgust.
Cheapest quote without the box was £1500.

#5 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

By adding a black box it should see a decrease in premium. I also found adding parents (try mum, both mum and dad or just dad) reduced it. Also insurers which aren't on comparison websites might be able to offer a cheaper premium.

My missus managed to get a refund of over £200 for good driving with her black box but not sure all insurers offer the cash back.

#6 r3k1355

r3k1355

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted Yesterday, 02:50 PM

Having a parent on policy as a named driver used to help, but parent as a main driver is usually rejected as 'fronting' these days.

That always was fronting.

Having a parent as a named driver when the policy holder is the young driver is still acceptable.

#7 KTS

KTS

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:26 PM

That always was fronting.

Having a parent as a named driver when the policy holder is the young driver is still acceptable.

having a young driver as a named driver on a parents policy is still acceptable - as long as they are not going to be the main driver/user of the vehicle it's not fronting

google 'insuring child on parents car' and you'll find more than a few insurers willing to accept children as named drivers on a parents policy

i'd agree that an attempt by a young driver to take out a policy where their parent was named as the main driver, and themselves as a named driver would ring alarm bells with most insurers

Edited by KTS, Yesterday, 03:37 PM.

#8 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Hate insurance companies with a passion...

Not sure if its still going but there used to be a 'pass plus' scheme, ADI's who registered took the new driver out for a minimum of 6 hours and it was insurance approved for about 40% discount. Ask your driving instructor.

Problem with a youngster sharing policy is they probably don't accumulate any NCD

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares