17 replies to this topic

#1 OhDear

OhDear

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

My son has just passed his driving test today.  we have a little toyota yaris for him to learn in, insurance was £400 a year as a learner.  now he has passed his test..they are asking for 2.2k   anyone have any good advice on how to find cheaper insurance for the yaris.  all help would be gratefully excepted :D  and no he ain't getting my mini :D thats my fun 

#2 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:30 PM

No cheap way just pay.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,794 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:29 PM

Might be worth trying Black Box insurance:-

https://www.moneysup...insurance-work/

Having a parent on policy as a named driver used to help, but parent as a main driver is usually rejected as 'fronting' these days.

#4 DJS911

DJS911

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:44 AM

Have just gone through exactly the same thing with my 17 year old lad.
He passed on Monday and has a ‘08 1.6 Astra.
Best deal we got was £997 with Co-Op Young Driver insurance.
That’s fully comp, with him as the policyholder and main driver. Wife and I are named drivers.
It is with a black box though much to his disgust.
Cheapest quote without the box was £1500.

#5 Twincam

Twincam

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:43 PM

By adding a black box it should see a decrease in premium. I also found adding parents (try mum, both mum and dad or just dad) reduced it. Also insurers which aren't on comparison websites might be able to offer a cheaper premium.

My missus managed to get a refund of over £200 for good driving with her black box but not sure all insurers offer the cash back.

#6 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

Having a parent on policy as a named driver used to help, but parent as a main driver is usually rejected as 'fronting' these days.

That always was fronting.

Having a parent as a named driver when the policy holder is the young driver is still acceptable.

#7 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:26 PM

That always was fronting.

Having a parent as a named driver when the policy holder is the young driver is still acceptable.

having a young driver as a named driver on a parents policy is still acceptable - as long as they are not going to be the main driver/user of the vehicle it's not fronting

google 'insuring child on parents car' and you'll find more than a few insurers willing to accept children as named drivers on a parents policy

i'd agree that an attempt by a young driver to take out a policy where their parent was named as the main driver, and themselves as a named driver would ring alarm bells with most insurers

Edited by KTS, 11 December 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#8 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:05 PM

Hate insurance companies with a passion...

Not sure if its still going but there used to be a 'pass plus' scheme, ADI's who registered took the new driver out for a minimum of 6 hours and it was insurance approved for about 40% discount. Ask your driving instructor.

Problem with a youngster sharing policy is they probably don't accumulate any NCD

#9 OhDear

OhDear

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 03:16 PM

thanks guys for the advise.  still and ongoing process . 

#10 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:45 PM

Or now this is a cheap option do what my dad did 20 years ago and say if u want a car save up your self and buy one. 

#11 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:30 AM

When they pass their test cut your losses and cancel the existing policy, then start a new one. Been there done that with all 3 of mine.

There's some reasonable deals to be had for new drivers, but sadly when you insure a learner driver there's companies that get you in with a low cost then increase it massively as soon as they pass their test ... a sprat to catch a mackerel. Just paying up is falling for their game.

Cancel, start again.

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

There are far too many slow young drivers on the roads.

I blame those "black boxes".

#13 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,114 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:27 PM

Try to find a proton jumbuck or similar.

These are proton(not stolen regularly) and pick up trucks.

Thus meaning only 1 passenger seat.
Less likely to show off to pals and be egged on by any passengers in the car.

Insurance love the idea of this....

#14 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:35 AM

Ive just done this twice. Its always going to be pricey there are some things i did to make it easier to swallow.
First was car choice. Some cars are drastically cheaper to insure than others for no logical reason even though they are the same car but maybe a better or lesser trim level or even color. I spent hours and hours running different car quotes through insurers.

Next up was going through the application process with a fine tooth comb. Stupid things raised the premium alot or a little depending on seemingly nothing. Email address lessened my total by a little with a few of them which is crazy. Took me a long time to come across that and happened when one of the kids started a new job and was given a company email address. Apparently some insurers view people with a free yahoo or hotmail type account as more of a risk because they arent responsible enough to have a proper email thats either paid for or given to them by a company, which shows they are professional. I dont get it and think its bull but i suggest people quote there existing policy with just an email change to see if the price changes.

Next is job title. Big difference between the driver that changed jobs. Spent enough time talking to reps and using various sites to adjust jobs to learn a few things. Homemakers pay alot more for insurance than pretty much anyone with a job. They are considered to be driving at anytime and are there for a risk so pay more. Same goes for someone unemployed but for some reason they will pay slightly less. Was told its because they are less likely to drive due to fuel costs so they are less of a risk then a homemaker. I adjusted my job from a gas engineer to a gas reader and saved alot on my own policy. Its not that i cheated the system but after going through this with the other policys my job was closer to a reader. The engineer job was classified by insurers as someone who was on the road all day long going to different places like a cable installer which i am not. My job was actually watching meter pressure remotely from work and evaluating them so a gas reader was more fitting even though not my actual title.

Place to store the car had a big effect too. I think this is really location based though so is probably different for everyone. Now i live in a really posh area of surrey with no real crime. Minimal traffic goes by my house as i am at the end of deadend with coded gates to get in or out and i have a massive driveway and garage big enough for multiple vehicles. Only a couple neighbors near me. Literally never seen a stranger walk by my house unless it was a new neighbor i hadnt met yet. Now- of the choices they give you for car parking which is garaged, in the driveway, on the street, or some other place which do you think is cheapest for me? Shockingly the correct answer is on the street by literally every insurer i spoke to. Reasons were storing in the garage gave the criminal time to do whatever he wanted to do with little chance of discovery. Parking in the drive gave criminal knowledge that the car was there and they could then identify me as the owner and watch for when i was home or gone exposing me to more risk. Parking in the street was best because criminals didnt know who owned the car and were therefore less likely to after it since its in a public place.

I could go on and on. Policy deductions, thrid party, adding a named driver etc. Basically its borderline criminal by insurance companies with what they do to get money out of you. When your filling out the application you owe it to yourself to research every single question they ask you no matter how mundane like whats your email address. Lots of little things can add up quickly. Somethings you may have no control of like parking place but others you might. So many stupid little things that make a difference over time.

Oh, and the biggest shock of all is all our insurance is by admiral. We have various policys with them to keep our rates down. My wife is like poison on anyones policy so she has her own and i am with one kid but not the other because it went up for some unknown reason.

#15 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:44 AM

Oh, and the cheapest car i could find to insure out of every single vehicle i could think of and get quotes on was the rover mini i currently own. Its the reason that put me over the top in the purchase decision. No other car was as cheap as it was, even when i put in cars that technically should have been lower like 3 cylinders or catagory 11 cars. I am currently looking to buy the younger drivers classic minis of there own to drive and get rid of there old cars. Both will have saved enough in under 2 years to pay for the roughly 2500k it will cost for each car assuming i can find decent ones for that price which is getting a little hard but not impossible yet.

Edited by kit352, 05 January 2019 - 04:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users