#1 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:36 PM

Does anyone know where I could get a 2 piece speedo cable?
I intend to tow my Elf on an A frame behind my Motorhome, whilst On Tow, I’d rather not have the odometer recording distances.
As the ends of the speedo cable are not easily accessible, either behind the dash or on the bottom of the engine.
I’m hoping I can either get a two piece cable, or a short extension, to allow me to have an accessible, easily disconnectable joint under the bonnet.
Any info/advice would be really appreciated.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

you don't want to be towing it with the driven wheels on the ground. good way to wear your gearbox out very fast,

you are making some bearings rotate very fast for long time periods when they were not designed for it.

#3 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:34 PM

1100/1300, bit longer but it can do the job.

#4 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:37 PM

Ivor it is not the length, I need to be able to disconnect the speedo easily & quickly. Currently is is too awkward to get to the back of the speedo or the take off on the gearbox. I’m hoping to be able to get hold of a cable with a disconnectable joint in the middle of it.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

you don't want to be towing it with the driven wheels on the ground. good way to wear your gearbox out very fast,

you are making some bearings rotate very fast for long time periods when they were not designed for it.

I agree with Nick here.

There's a tiny bearing between the 1st and 3rd Motion Shafts that at normal highway speeds will be spinning well over it constant design rating and it'll be doing this with stone cold oil and an oil level that will be too high. I've got some photos I took of a gearbox that was damaged from doing just this.

I'd suggest using a dolly, and I would think legally, you would need to in any case.

#6 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:12 PM

Ivor it is not the length, I need to be able to disconnect the speedo easily & quickly. Currently is is too awkward to get to the back of the speedo or the take off on the gearbox. I’m hoping to be able to get hold of a cable with a disconnectable joint in the middle of it.

The 1100/1300 cable has a joint in the middle

#7 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:54 PM

Hi,

MPIs had a factory fitted 2 piece cable the join is on the bulkhead by where the fuel pipes come up.

Cheers  :proud:

#8 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:00 PM

Huh. I did wonder what that lump was.

#9 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

Someone suggested a 2 part Austin 1100 cable, I have sourced the upper part on eBay, but when I have received the cable there is nothing on the bottom end to attach the second part of the cable, so I am not really any further forward, other than having a NOS 1100 upper cable (possibly missing the connection to the lower cable!)

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:42 AM

again you don't want to be towing with the driven wheels on the road. do not expect the gearbox to like it one bit.

#11 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

DUF definitely not listening to advice re potential gearbox trouble, more interested in keeping a few miles off the clock :gimme:

Gearbox designed to be in neutral when at stand still and maybe very short distance towing.

#12 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:22 PM

Gents
What is the trouble with towing the car in neutral? The gearbox is still running in oil. In addition the trips using the A Frame will only be for around 75 miles & below 60 MPH, I’m not towing the car for hundreds of miles at high speed.
I cannot use a trailer as I do not have space to store one, as I have Duffy in the garage, my Motorhome on my garden & my Leon on the drive.
For those outside the UK a towing dolly can only be used for recovery, so could not be used behind a MoHo.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:36 PM

Gents
What is the trouble with towing the car in neutral? The gearbox is still running in oil.

Cold Engine Oil doesn't lucubrate too well and to make matters worse, as the engine won't be running, the Oil Level will be higher than it normally is.

The 'Nose' bearing that I described earlier in this thread is tiny and in no way rated for continuous running, even in hot oil. This one is the one that spins when the Box in in Neutral.

This is what it does to the Mainshaft;-

IPKAHMG.jpg

#14 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:03 PM

Ultimately the gearbox is designed to do the majority of its mileage in fourth gear on long trips so both the 1st motion and 3rd motion shafts are turning together, and when not you get the result as shown by Moke Spider. :ohno:

The first motion shaft is static when the engine is shut down.

Edited by Rorf, 01 February 2019 - 12:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users