#1 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

Hi
I’m looking to purchase a boot lining kit and just after a little advice.
I have been on the optimise website and they have 3 listed. A basic one at £38, a deluxe at £60 and deluxe with battery cover at £72.50
Obviously the last 2 are very similar apart from battery cover but just wondered what could the extra differences be to charge almost double.
Has anybody fitted any of these? Any recommendations?
I do like the idea of battery cover but don’t know whether it’s worth the extra £34!
Your thoughts appreciated

#2 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

ive been to Andy's shop, you would not believe the work it takes to make this stuff, its not just done in his bedroom no more .so i know the price is fair and as cheep as he can make them. my 10p worth ..........

#3 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:40 PM

ive been to Andy's shop, you would not believe the work it takes to make this stuff, its not just done in his bedroom no more .so i know the price is fair and as cheep as he can make them. my 10p worth ..........

Hi
I’m not doubting the work involved. I just wondered what the difference was between the basic and deluxe version with such a vast price difference
Thanks

#4 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:42 PM

Have a read through here:

http://www.theminifo...ts-please-help/

http://www.theminifo...36#entry3509039

#5 Haygate

Haygate

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:41 AM

I got one on offer for £30, may even be less as it was at the end of the day from bingley (I’m sure it was optimise) but it would of been the cheaper one and it fits brilliantly and looks good.

#6 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hi
I have been on the optimise website and they have 3 listed. A basic one at £38, a deluxe at £60 and deluxe with battery cover at £72.50
Obviously the last 2 are very similar apart from battery cover but just wondered what could the extra differences be to charge almost double.
I do like the idea of battery cover but don’t know whether it’s worth the extra £34!

Descriptions can be found on the website Steve:

• Boot Lining Kit: LINK
  • Deluxe Boot Lining Kit: LINK

They are completely different kits, fit completely differently and have completely different features.

Hope the descriptions that we provide help you make a decision.

Regards,

Andy @ Optimise Automtoive

Edited by roberts, 08 December 2018 - 04:42 PM.

#7 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

Hi

Descriptions can be found on the website Steve:
  • Boot Lining Kit: LINK
  • Deluxe Boot Lining Kit: LINK
They are completely different kits, fit completely differently and have completely different features.

Hope the descriptions that we provide help you make a decision.

Regards,
Hi Andy,
Who do you use to ship overseas?
I got a quote from you for one of these kits, and it’s the freight that put me off.
But I really want one haha.
Cheers
Chris

#8 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 07:12 PM

Hi Andy,

Who do you use to ship overseas?
I got a quote from you for one of these kits, and it’s the freight that put me off.
But I really want one haha.
Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris,

If you have had a quote for dispatch it will say who's the courier within the information I provided for you:

• UK Other parcels are dispatched using ParcelForce.
  • European parcels are dispatched using ParcelForce.
  • Worldwide parcels are dispatched using either UPS, FedEx or ParcelForce.

Regards,

#9 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 11:34 PM

Andy, is your website down?

Stu.

#10 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:35 AM

Andy, is your website down?

Stu.

No, all working: https://www.optimise-automotive.com

Regards,

#11 SMP

SMP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:35 PM

Has anybody looked at the weight of these things? I know that unless you're building a track car weight is not the highest priority. However I've got one of these I have yet to fit and I was a bit surprised at what the package weights like? Is the weight optimised so as not to be too flimsy but not too heavy either? Am tempted to take the router to mine and see what I can take out of it before fitting.

#12 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:50 PM

Has anybody looked at the weight of these things? I know that unless you're building a track car weight is not the highest priority. However I've got one of these I have yet to fit and I was a bit surprised at what the package weights like? Is the weight optimised so as not to be too flimsy but not too heavy either? Am tempted to take the router to mine and see what I can take out of it before fitting.

I thought this when I removed one from my Ritz, wether they are all the same I don't know but mine was probably 12 - 16mm MDF which seemed to soak up the moisture well :lol:. Can't see why it couldn't be made of thinner material and plywood. I made a board (just the base) up out of corrugated plastic with rubber on the top with the spare wheel and a couple of foam supports and they works perfectly.

#13 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

Good morning guys,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a Happy New Year - we are now open again after our Christmas break.

The quick answer is we do offer weight-saving options, information can be found on the website below:

• Bespoke Boot Lining Kits: LINK

Please accept my apologies that you missed the information.

The entry level boot liner weights around 5kg and the deluxe set weights around 7kg, if we made the kit out of plywood you would likely save around 2kg to 3kg.

So, that was the short response, here is the complete full length answer and explanation for you...

Our product range of boot liners are optimised for cost effectiveness, as that is the most important thing - a majority of people looking to install a boot lining kit are not interested in it's weight and they wouldn't pay the additional costs required to manufacture the kits out of a lighter material. Nowhere offers a ply kit (off the shelf), so if we replaced the MDF with ply we would price ourselves out of the market.

This is why the weight saving options are listed as a bespoke option, as it allows those who are looking to keep weight to the minimum to upgrade. Just to let you know, we do receive the odd email regarding saving weight on a boot lining kit and this is why we have always offered the bespoke light-weight options - coincidentally, no one has ever upgraded.

Let's be honest here though, we are literately are talking about saving a couple of kg's and I think it's fair to say, most that install a boot liner would agree that the usability of a boot liner warrants a couple of extra kg's to the cars overall weight. The additional weight of a boot liner isn't noticeably going to change the performance of your Mini.

Plus as you mentioned as well, weight saving isn't a priority for road cars, especially on road cars that have luxury after-market items such as a boot lining kit installed.

I thought this when I removed one from my Ritz, wether they are all the same I don't know but mine was probably 12 - 16mm MDF which seemed to soak up the moisture well :lol:. Can't see why it couldn't be made of thinner material and plywood. I made a board (just the base) up out of corrugated plastic with rubber on the top with the spare wheel and a couple of foam supports and they works perfectly.

Our boot lining kits are manufactured from 6mm MDF (bottom board, back board, right hand side board and left hand side board) & hardboard (petrol tank cover front) and trimmed in carpet - so the one installed in your Ritz wasn't from us.

I would guess that it has been home-made if it was manufactured using 12mm to 16mm MDF, as that does seem very excessive.

And as mentioned above, the kits can be made out of lighter materials - if you are willing to pay for them.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Edited by roberts, 07 January 2019 - 12:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users