35 replies to this topic

#1 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:18 PM

Maybe I’m being stupid here, but what’s the advantages of shorter or longer ram pipes?

Fitting twin HS4s so looking for suggestions and options for filtration on a nicely built 1330 fast road engine

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,898 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:30 PM

some are good some are not so good.

it all comes down to what induction length works best for the build. induction length between valves and carb is only one side the length before the carb has results as well.

but as you are putting HS4 on a road engine I would just fit stubs  and nothing more. as you are mainly wanting torque for a road build.

well I would not as I would not bother with the twins but that is just me.

#3 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:32 PM

I would have run a hif44 but it’s a 74 and I wanted something more period. Not a Weber either.

#4 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:33 PM

some are good some are not so good.

it all comes down to what induction length works best for the build. induction length between valves and carb is only one side the length before the carb has results as well.

but as you are putting HS4 on a road engine I would just fit stubs and nothing more. as you are mainly wanting torque for a road build.

well I would not as I would not bother with the twins but that is just me.

Stubs with what for filtration?

#5 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:58 PM

I'm running MED's stub stacks and ITG filter setup on my 1380

Attached Files

#6 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:15 PM

I flowbench tested this a couple of weeks ago, showed a decent gain in flow and is designed to fit under a K&N cone filter. Available for the 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" SU. ioCWq8s.jpg

Different length ram pipes can be used to tune the inlet length and are used to alter the torque spread of the engine. Tuned lengths can have quite a dramatic effect when done correctly.

Phil.

Edited by Turbo Phil, 07 December 2018 - 08:21 PM.

#7 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

I flowbench tested this a couple of weeks ago, showed a decent gain in flow and is designed to fit under a K&N cone filter. Available for the 1-1/2" and 1-3/4" SU. ioCWq8s.jpg

Phil.

Mine is arriving tomorrow. Dave's a good guy. Was great doing work with him.

What's wanted to know was when fitting the stub, should I change anything on the carb? It's my first performance upgrade on my 998.

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:44 PM

In the 60's, somebody, Like "Birds Custard" made a 'fruit salad jelly with topping' and sold it in a trumpet shaped plastic container.

The container was about 5" tall and with the bottom cut out, was a friction fit in an 1 1/2" SU.

I tried it for a joke. as a talking point in the paddock on a Mini se7en engine, and at about 6,300 RPM you could notice the engine 'crackle'.

I probably imagined that it went better, but one doesn't spend much of a race in that rev band.

#9 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:23 PM

Maybe I’m being stupid here, but what’s the advantages of shorter or longer ram pipes?

Fitting twin HS4s so looking for suggestions and options for filtration on a nicely built 1330 fast road engine

As you probably know the cone filter is a compromise on power, and a long way from period

Our stub stacks inside a round K&N

10% off for TMF members

http://www.retromini...roducts_id=1241

j6ZHuxA.jpg

#10 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:43 AM

I have a 1330 with twin HS4s. Both with 40mm ram pipes. Runs very well with excellent torque. I found that it cleaned up the power and torque curves compared to running without any. Also gained a slight top end too.

1330 with SW5.

#11 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:35 PM

Different length ram pipes can be used to tune the inlet length and are used to alter the torque spread of the engine. Tuned lengths can have quite a dramatic effect when done correctly.

Phil.

Who's is that Phil?   There's a lot going on the face of it; there's gains to be made there!

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:57 PM

In the late 1930's Maserati had a V block system so that they could slide different length Ram Pipe/ Trumpets in front of the carbs of their straight 8 on the test bed.

Sadly, it all went out of the window when it was supercharged.

There was a happy ending, as the supercharged engine won Indianapolis.

#13 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

Phil.

Who's is that Phil?   There's a lot going on the face of it; there's gains to be made there!

guy called dave was selling them a week or two ago

#14 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:14 AM

For sale topic is here:

http://www.theminifo...52-stub-stacks/

#15 AKat

AKat

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 09:51 AM

On anything with a Siamese ported head stub stacks work well, however it is hard to take advantage of any wave tuning that can be had from longer ram tubes. 

The other factor is the engine speed where you want to tune it for (there is no "One Size Fits All" solution... hence why some motorbikes run variable length systems)

The formula that was used by manufacturers for determining the "ultimate" induction tract length many years was;

L = [(K x C) / N]

L = obviously length
K = a mathematical constant.. used to be 72 but in later years other manufacturers started using other numbers like 87 and 90... for an A series stick to 72
C = speed of pulse (determined by air density - mostly by temperature on an NA engine.. work with 1,100 for 25 degrees C at sea level)
N = Engine speed

So we're talking about a 1330 for fast road application... I'm going to say it will spend its life around the 3000-5000 rpm range?  So I'll work it out on the average

72 x 1,100 =  79,200

79,200 / 4,000rpm = 19.8" from the edge of the ram tube to the back of the valve down the centreline.

Obviously space starts to become a limitation in the real world (and especially on minis! :lol: )  but you can sort of see why guys with webers want to aim for those 8" manifolds where they can. 

So if you don't mind cutting holes in your fire wall :lol: .......

Otherwise, you won't be disappointed with a stub stack

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users