#1 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:29 PM

Yes. Well.

I was working under my E46 BMW yesterday. Normally I'm very careful about making sure the car is secure whilst up in the air. But this time I was an idiot. A really big idiot.

I had to preload the rear suspension bushes, meaning I had to drop her to the ground then do up the bolts. Not having a pit, I dropped the rear of the car onto the sloped bit of my ramps. I really should have lifted it high enough to rest on the top of the ramps, but like I say; I'm an idiot. Especially because the handbrake was disconnected!! Did I mention that I'm a massive idiot?

I got lazy.

I got complacent.

The front was also on axle stands. So there I was, under the car, heaving on a bolt when OH SH......! The car tips off the stands and rolls down the ramps into my work bench sending everything flying.

Moral of the story?

If anything seems 'a bit dodgy'? DON'T DO IT!

If you do it anyway? MAKE SURE THE WHEELS ARE ON OR UNDER THE CAR, AND A JACK IS IN PLACE SO IT CAN'T FLATTEN YOU!

#2 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:10 AM

Hell Wiggy hope you were OK

Sounds like you only have a bruised ego. Just goes to show even when experienced we all make mistakes

Its got to be safety 1st

My son is an agricultural engineer and I have always drummed that into him, some of the engines and transmissions weigh more than a Mini, flywheels need two to lift, it can be a bit hairy just setting a big tractor up on axle stands then lifting a cab off or spitting one for a clutch...front axle wedged. Complacency and machinery don't mix, some people don't get a second chance.

I used to run the car club when I was at college and workshop safety....inexperienced students and scissor jacks...joys

It was illustrated to me when an engine fell off my RSJ block and tackle, luckily no body was hurt

Like you it was my own fault, lifting with one head stud, never done it since

#3 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:30 AM

Cheers man. No damage to man nor machine. Luckily my ego is small, or I wouldn't have shared it. Heh.

Everyone learns by their mistakes. If you're lucky, you get away with it. If you're not...then...

I can also tell tales of getting a scud missile chisel to the face when I failed to hold on whilst hammering it into a manhole frame...... Had hell of a black eye. Again, lucky.

Edited by Wiggy, 08 December 2018 - 12:30 AM.

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,415 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:34 AM

Credit to you for sharing the "learning experience". Be proud that your small ego let you do that!

#5 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for sharing. Timely reminder while we work on our winter projects.

#6 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:20 PM

Yes, well done Wiggy for sharing your experience, especially this time of year when we're all carrying out those essential winter maintenance jobs!

Cheers, Steve. 

#7 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:44 PM

I've often rocked the car when on axle stands before getting under. If it isn't safe it'll go at that point.

I was working outside with my old moggy on axle stands once. I climbed out from under the car for a cuppa and noticed how much the car was moving in the wind.

Made me think twice I can tell you. Thanks for sharing.

#8 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:02 PM

I  know of several cases where unsafe car lifting schemes in order to work under the car have resulted in death. The person gets pinned under the car with the weight of the car on their chest and not being able to breath. An awful way to go.  

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:03 PM

My first car was a 1950 Ford V8 Pilot (Google it). It had a built-in hydraulic jacking system which lifted the car on 4 jacks mounted on the chassis.
One morning I jacked it up to adjust the rear brakes but after slidung underneath I realised that I had picked up the wrong spanner, so I crawled out and went back into the shed to find the correct one. It tok a bit of finding and when I got back to the cat it had sunk back onto its wheels and there was hydraulic fluid aroung the pump which was located under the bonnet on the front bulkhead.
I was saved by picking up the wrong spanner.
I have been paranoid about using stands ever since.

#10 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:31 PM

I always put stacks of extra 6x6s or whatever is available and able to take the load under the car as a fail safe in case the jack stands let go. They may get in your way a bit, but it's a lot better than the alternative.

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:17 PM

It so easy to get tunnel visioned in to the job at hand and forget about the bigger picture.

Glad to hear you are OK here Wiggy.

When away on our road trips and there's a break down, I always like who ever is involved, including me, to step back for a minute or two, usually put the billy on before getting on to it, mainly so we can all talk it through before diving in.

On a recent trip with some 4WD's, one of the guys had trouble with an Air Bag he had fitted inside the Coil Spring, he had the car up on a Hi-lift Jack (dreadful things), with the wheel off and was about to put his fingers in between the spring coils when I grabbed him by the collar,,,,,  400 miles from the nearest hospital is definitely not the place to be trying to deal with a cut let alone crushed fingers,,,,,

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:24 AM

I was 16.  It was just before Easter.  A chap came to our yacht chandlers in a panic because his engine sounded funny.

I went with the engineer, to find a burnt valve.

Boat engines are always fitted in un-get-atable places, so being smaller than the engineer, the next day I cycled down with a bag of tools and bits. I fixed the valve, replaced the head, did the tappets and heaved the bag of tools out of the bilge.

Unfortunately I had incorporated part of my shirt with the head gasket.......................................................Bother.

#13 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:44 AM

Like has been said before. Complacency is the danger. Sometimes when I'm on my back under a car with the floor pan inches from my face I have that rush of fear as my mind suddenly re focuses on where I am and what I'm actually doing. Scary, but it needs to be so you don't take it for granted.

#14 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

Many years ago, back in the early 90s, my dad was working under an old Volvo estate car. I think my mum called him for something, he slid out and the jack holding it gave way about five seconds afterwards. The story has passed down from mum, so the timing might have been exaggerated but the car did fall very soon after he had got out from under it. No knowing what a car weighing that much might do to a person.

I always get properly paranoid about safety, and won't let my daughter anywhere near the garage when I'm (rarely) working in there (although as she gets older I'll let her). My wife  on the other hand is Colombian, and lets just say safety is not always their primary concern!

#15 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

I dont get under cars on jacks if i can help it, did the brakes on my daily yesterday but the wheel i take off goes under the sill, the jack stays in place. And i do not put any part of me under the car.. it must wieght 1.5 tonnes.

I paid someone to weld the exhaust hanger and re do the brake lines at the begining of the year even tho there both jobs i can do its much quicker and safer sometimes to pay someone who has a ramp, saving £20 sometimes aint worth it.

Now i could buy a 4 poster for the garage.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users