#1 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:30 AM

So I know there have been hundreds of threads on this, I've been slowly getting through most of them trying to find a definitive answer to prevent me from putting a cam not suited to my application and ruining it.

So the spec;

998 standard bore

Alloy inlet

Single Hs4, red needle

Lucas sports coil

Lucas 45d distributor (electronic)

Rc40 twin box

Pre verto clutch (Standard)

Potentially lightened flywheel

Alloy twin core radiator

12g295 skimmed to achieve C.R of 10:1, gas flowed

stock diff and box (Not known what diff so ratio unknown)

Not sure what to go with in terms of rockers, the budget gets smaller every day.

The application: This car is not my daily, I use it mostly on weekends and for road trips, driving fast down country lanes and bombing it around town. Call me a yob but its good fun. Fact is its not going to spend every day in traffic jams, its going to be flying down a/b roads and racing around town.

I run a standard 998 and I'm more than happy with its top end power, doing 65 on the motorway in a mini is plentiful for me.

With these applications and the proposed spec would somebody be able to recommend a suitable cam? The two I had in my mind where an sw5 and a 276 but every time I decide on one I find a reason on the forum to bin it, continuously going back and forth. 

I hope someone can help me along with my decision a bit,m any advice/ changes would be most appreciated.

Jacob

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:35 AM

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#3 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:24 AM

Do you have/had have one of these Nick? Of so, what other mods were done to the engine? I ask as I assume you were impressed with the cam, but it heavily depends on the rest of the setup. Asking as a cam upgrade is on the books for my 998 and the way I drive is similar to Ghost rider ?

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:43 AM

have one in a 1380 that I assembled for a friend. it is just a nice cam and in your 998 would at about the same level as the cams  mentioned but more suited to current fuels. Mods as much or as little as you want but I would do more than less.

#5 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:56 AM

Nick in your link Minispares mentions "for A+ fast road".

Is there any difference between A and A+ camshafts?

Regards 

Gilles

#6 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:54 AM

?

#7 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:40 AM

I would say for your motor and driving style the evo001 is a bit tame and the MD276 would be more fun

The diff ratio also needs to be checked by counting the teeth.

If its a high diff they are not what you need in a fun 998 you need a 3.76 or 3.9, its not a shopping car

http://www.retromini...d=19&chapter=20

Try to get the lightened flywheel too

#8 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:06 PM

My Own ACD - RT cam would be perfect for that spec. Pm me your email address and I'll send you some info.

Oops scrap that advice I just noticed it has 10:1 CR that's too much for the RT cam.

Ac

Edited by ACDodd, 11 December 2018 - 03:46 PM.

#9 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:06 PM

I’ve just put the evolution001 in my 998, very impressed to say the least. Great range of acceleration from around 1500 rpm upward and nice throttle response, idle is a little lumpy below 900 rpm though I’ve increased my idle speed to eliminate this.

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:57 PM

I put an Evo001 in a 998 Cooper and it is superb. With a 3.44:1 FDR it is ideal for driving and enjoying.

Do not be tempted to 'over-cam' it as that will spoil the enjoyment of driving it.

#11 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:37 AM

I would say for your motor and driving style the evo001 is a bit tame and the MD276 would be more fun

If its a high diff they are not what you need in a fun 998 you need a 3.76 or 3.9, its not a shopping car

Thanks Retroman, not sure on the diff ratio, the lumps still in the car. Once it comes out I'll be able to have a look. I had a nice read of the Diff guide, very helpful thank you.

#12 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:44 AM

I put an Evo001 in a 998 Cooper and it is superb. With a 3.44:1 FDR it is ideal for driving and enjoying.

Do not be tempted to 'over-cam' it as that will spoil the enjoyment of driving it.

Thanks Cooperman, but without sounding too stupid, what does over- camming mean? Is it simply a cam that's a bit too hot for the engine or just doesn't really match the power range of the engine? I'm still learning a bit as you can see with this :lol: .

#13 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:46 AM

I’ve just put the evolution001 in my 998, very impressed to say the least. Great range of acceleration from around 1500 rpm upward and nice throttle response, idle is a little lumpy below 900 rpm though I’ve increased my idle speed to eliminate this.

With the lumpy idle, by increasing the idle rpm to get it nice and steady does it still get "off the line" quickly if you give it the beans?

#14 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:17 PM

Yes it does shift quite comfortably if the line, sometimes it doesn’t seem it until you look in the rearview and realise you’ve dusted the car behind ?

#15 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

I also found that useful - thanks Retroman. Do you know if there are any clearance issues with a 3.2 or 3.1 setup in a casting for a 97 MPi Mini? Mine has the long legged 2.76 and I'm I two minds whether to change it while other mods are bing done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users