Photo
- - - - -

Electric Fan - Do Minispares Answer Q's Submitted From Their Web Site?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

Hi,

Was looking to fit one of these in readiness for being sat in a lot of traffic next summer (due to our little friends 60 b'day celebrations at London2Brighton, IMM etc):

http://www.minispare.../C-ARA4401.aspx

And I may be stupid, but cannot work out if it's for front or side mounted rads. I have the minispares 2 core performance rad and was hoping to fit one. So I sent a Q through their web site a week or so ago and never received a reply.

Alternatively does anyone have one that could comment on mounting/fitting.

Cheers

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 December 2018 - 11:50 AM

that is for side mounted rads.

#3 tom130691

tom130691

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:42 AM

intresting that it sucks not blows,  

in my head sucking colder air from the wheel arch is a good idea when stationary 

but when moving its fighting against the "designed" air flow, 

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

intresting that it sucks not blows,  

in my head sucking colder air from the wheel arch is a good idea when stationary 

but when moving its fighting against the "designed" air flow, 

but then it would be blowing air against the fitted fan.

you want the fans to work the same way.

#5 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

tom13,

I also noticed that it says sucks, which added to my confusion. I assume the kit fits to the outside side or the rad and would then suck air through the rad and into the wheel arch.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,934 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 10:37 PM

tom13,

I also noticed that it says sucks, which added to my confusion. I assume the kit fits to the outside side or the rad and would then suck air through the rad and into the wheel arch.

correct 

#7 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 14 December 2018 - 12:43 PM

https://www.carbuild...ons.com/uk/fans

less than 1/2 the price, needs some brackets making and some wiring

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:22 PM

So I sent a Q through their web site a week or so ago and never received a reply.

Best to phone them and get put through to the front desk - they've always been helpful on the phone.

#9 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:29 PM

Do these fans fit on the rad between the fan and the inner wing then?  Is there enough room?  Would like one for my Mk2.

#10 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 09:57 AM

Do these fans fit on the rad between the fan and the inner wing then? Is there enough room? Would like one for my Mk2.

Not 100% sure but it must do as it sucks rather than blows, according to the description. Wonder if anyone here on TMF has fitted one.

#11 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:05 AM

They fit directly to the back of the rad with toggles which pass through the radiator itself. Work well but are quite tight on a fatter than standard rad.

#12 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:23 PM

Thanks.  I'll add it to the to do list.

#13 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:28 PM

I think kenlowe do a kit. It’s universal and a better priced if I recall correctly.

#14 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:07 PM

Thanks. I'll add it to the to do list.

Floormanager,

Fitted this MiniSpares kit the weekend. Very high quality and includes all instructions. Only additional item required was a small amount of PTFE tape.

1st note: Instructions advise to remove original fan. As I wasn't sure if the new one sucked or blows I did remove it. I had a couple of additional 4mm fan spacers so now have three on the end so I could use the original fan bolts without having to cut them down so they didn't bottom out.

2nd note: the new fan does fit between the rad and inner wing and indeed sucks and it's very very efficient at this!

3rd note: space would be tight if you were using a 4 core rad...if you are, you also have to notify them when ordering as you need slightly different brackets, I believe. I have a new MiniSpares 2 core performance copper rad so had no issue with space or brackets.

I set the controller to kick in approx 85c. This is approx 1/2 way (or just under) between normal and the beginning of the red zone on the in-car temp gauge. Once the fan has kicked in, cooled and then cuts out the temp guage is reading on normal again. As I said the fan is very efficient, cools back down to normal operating temp very quickly. You know it's efficient...pop your hand under the ns wing whilst the fan is on and feel the amount of hot air being sucked out of the engine bay, through the rad and out of the wing.

Best bit of optional kit I've ever purchased.

#15 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:43 PM

Thanks. I'll add it to the to do list.

Floormanager,

Fitted this MiniSpares kit the weekend. Very high quality and includes all instructions. Only additional item required was a small amount of PTFE tape.

1st note: Instructions advise to remove original fan. As I wasn't sure if the new one sucked or blows I did remove it. I had a couple of additional 4mm fan spacers so now have three on the end so I could use the original fan bolts without having to cut them down so they didn't bottom out.

2nd note: the new fan does fit between the rad and inner wing and indeed sucks and it's very very efficient at this!

3rd note: space would be tight if you were using a 4 core rad...if you are, you also have to notify them when ordering as you need slightly different brackets, I believe. I have a new MiniSpares 2 core performance copper rad so had no issue with space or brackets.

Best bit of optional kit I've ever purchased.

Excellent news Cooperd70.  The fact that it fits behind the rad without modification is a big plus point for me.  Thank you of thinking of me.

Paul

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users