#1 Paulryanmini

Paulryanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 10:57 PM

Hi all
I know this topic has been done to death over the years so my apologies.

I've been offered a good price on a 99 Jap import auto. I'd like to do a manual conversion.

I'm trying to work out if the later Japanese minis with the spi/MPI combo system uses a SPI or MPI basic block?

My question really is do I need a SPI or MPI manual engine block?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Also if anyone wants a low milage engine and auto box let me know :)

#2 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:30 PM

As far as I'm aware the JDM Minis of the era you're asking about had the MPi engine but with SPi injection, intake and side radiator therefore shouldn't matter for the conversion you're intending. I believe the ecu is JDM specific because of the SPi / distributorless combination and the air-con. Considering they're 95% an MPi they're relatively a bargain!

If it's not already been done you might want to also consider swapping the speedo to a mph unit, the JDM cars only have kph and no mph scale unlike European cars.

#3 Paulryanmini

Paulryanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

As far as I'm aware the JDM Minis of the era you're asking about had the MPi engine but with SPi injection, intake and side radiator therefore shouldn't matter for the conversion you're intending. I believe the ecu is JDM specific because of the SPi / distributorless combination and the air-con. Considering they're 95% an MPi they're relatively a bargain!

If it's not already been done you might want to also consider swapping the speedo to a mph unit, the JDM cars only have kph and no mph scale unlike European cars.

Hi 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes that's my plan. Watching eBay now for a MPI complete engine with manual gearbox 

I'll then swap the heads , inlet manifold and sensors from the auto engine.

I'm in Ireland so the KM clock is an advantage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users