25 replies to this topic

#1 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:13 PM

Fitted the kit to my rebuilt 1275 metro.
Took it for it dyno run the other day......
Torque figure of 91ft-lbs
Bhp 76.8
Both at the wheels
Prior to SC fitting I had 84 ft-lbs and 64 hp
Somethings not adding up.
Bit disappointed really.
I would email Stuart but once he had my money and sent the kit, he become very hard to get anything out of, including the bits he left out of the box.
I’m taking it all off shortly and will start again, believe that his kit lowers the compression by way to much, in my case down to around 6.44:1!!!!!!
Ordered a new plate from Jonspeed to come up somewhere in the region of 8.5:1
Not meaning to rant, I know that’s not what this forum is for.... just frustrated, more at myself for not doing more checks etc

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:20 PM

sorry but did you not make any caluclations before fitting stuff? do you need a decompression plate?

#3 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:24 PM

sorry but did you not make any caluclations before fitting stuff? do you need a decompression plate?

I knew my CR 10:1, Stuart said his plate would drop me to 7.1:1. Not sure if that included his 2 head gaskets.
I have since, from reading on here, seen most people run about 8-8.5

Edited by Chris.Williams, 14 December 2018 - 11:25 PM.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:29 PM

so did you do the math? if he said it would be 7ish and you have now worked it out to be be 6ish work it out dont just by stuff as you could well end up in exactly the same position.

#5 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:43 PM

so did you do the math? if he said it would be 7ish and you have now worked it out to be be 6ish work it out dont just by stuff as you could well end up in exactly the same position.

Look here Nick, this guy sells this stuff for a living, I gave him the credit he is due, believing what he told me when I explained to him my current setup. He is the expert, not me. This is why I bought a “kit”

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:11 AM

Is this a V-max Scart kit?

#7 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:38 AM

Is this a V-max Scart kit?

Yes, the dcoe 40 kit.

#8 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:34 AM

Can't comment on the power or compression issues, but I found Stuart very helpful when I had a couple of issues.
For some reason my decompression plate overlapped some holes in the head on my 998, despite speaking to people who've used the kit on them without issue, blowing the head gasket immediately.
Got hold of him on the phone easily and he sent me a got me a plate cut to a 998 gasket and sent it out free of charge.
Give the guy a chance to help before you ******* him off to all using prospective customers.

#9 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:57 AM

Can't comment on the power or compression issues, but I found Stuart very helpful when I had a couple of issues.
For some reason my decompression plate overlapped some holes in the head on my 998, despite speaking to people who've used the kit on them without issue, blowing the head gasket immediately.
Got hold of him on the phone easily and he sent me a got me a plate cut to a 998 gasket and sent it out free of charge.
Give the guy a chance to help before you ******* him off to all using prospective customers.

I wasted months waiting for him to send me the things I paid for, all fine if you live in the same country.
He was helpful in the beginning and then nothing.
And I have a mate here experiencing something very similar from him.
Almost a carbon copy of my experience.
He’s had all the chances I care to give.

Edited by Chris.Williams, 15 December 2018 - 01:58 AM.

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:18 AM

It has been my experience over some 50 years of ignorantly just bolting a Shorrock into an A series, that a decompression plate is not needed.

Allard, whose supercharging experience goes back to inferior octane fuels well before the war, told me that the churning and compression heating results in a superior mixture that is closer to a gas, which is less inclined to pre-detonation.

I believe that their reasoning is on the right track, because as part of a yacht chandlers, we used to have the largest Calor gas agency and became involved in a timid venture into powerboat racing.

The rules were virtually "Get as much power as you can without sinking the boat".  The result was a large diesel engine running on Butane with spark plugs instead of injectors and with the retained compression ratio there was no pre-detonation.

The project fizzled out because the spectators were not close enough and there were not enough of them to warrant the advertising expenditure.

Also, there was not as much power as anticipated, although there was no development, and Calor, who had quite wisely, quietly used a powerboat rather than ruffling feathers with an automobile project, had found out what they wanted to know.

#11 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:10 AM

Decomp plates are to be avoided at all costs IMO, they are a killer of squish area.

What is the engine spec, Cam, head etc, can you get the head chambers taken out to get the compression sensible?

Also who set it up, what advance and mixture are you seeing? And how much boost?

Edited by mini13, 15 December 2018 - 11:10 AM.

#12 JK95

JK95

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

Sad to hear such things about Stuart, knowing I'm a potential future customer. He has always seemed like the man with the most sorted out kit.

#13 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:53 PM

What rockers and cam do you have? You need standard for both. 1.3  rockers max and a cam suitable for a charged motor. 

If you cant get much reply via emails I don't understand why you don't just call him. Sometimes Stuart can be hard to get hold of, but I bet he is mega busy.

#14 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:20 PM

Morning all.

My engine is a 1275 A+ on standard bore, running 1.3 rockers and a Minispares evo1 cam. The fuel and timing was set on the rolling road by a professional and is inside of the perimeters set by Stuart.
In my ignorance, I did have quite a worked head, well flowed etc etc but it had a fair bit removed to raise compression when it was an NA motor. I decided to be safe and fit a head with more meat, still flowed and metro sized stainless valves.
I understand we are all busy but when it takes weeks, sometimes months to get a reply. In the end I decided to sort it myself, couldn’t wait any longer for the bits he forgot to send with my kit, which he had told me he had then sent.....never arrived.
I have organised my old head to fit, and will be doing the calculations carefully to avoid any hassle in the future.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great kit....... just not bolt on and go like your made to believe, maybe that’s ignorance on my part.

#15 Chris.Williams

Chris.Williams

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:24 PM

Sad to hear such things about Stuart, knowing I'm a potential future customer. He has always seemed like the man with the most sorted out kit.

Don’t let my experience put you off.
It’s a good kit, just don’t bolt it on and go like I did and expect it to work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users