#1 Peterbst

Peterbst

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:49 PM

Hi, hoping for some guidance.

I have a 64 Cooper that has been off the road for over 40 years, doesn’t have a V5, only an old county council registration document from 1972. There is also a Heritage certificate and some other general paperwork. The problem is that the car underwent a restoration over a long period of time, but using what looks like a 1980 s bodyshell. This has been professionally altered to accept the original doors, bonnet, boot, but it does have the original running gear and interior trim.

As this replacement bodyshell has had to be altered to accept the earlier parts, I can only see that it would get registered on a Q plate. This is not really a route I want to go down and understand that if I fork out a small fortune and get a new Heritage age related bodyshell, use the original engine, transmission, steering etc I should be able to, either retain the original registration or get an age related plate.

I would really appreciate it someone who understands these matters better than me, could confirm that my thinking is right. I really don’t want to buy the bodyshell and still end up with a Q plate!

May thanks, Pete

#2 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

There should be no issue with what you wish to do as you are doing it in the legitimate way,

Its a reshell using the original components

We need a readable copy of the 72 document, the process adited by the DVLA

We can supply a plate correctly embossed chassis plate

http://www.retromini...8ht8ko3sjm2neh2

You can then both MOT the car [even thou it's mot exempt] and apply for the V5c you are entitled to by filling out a V62

https://www.gov.uk/g...ion-certificate

JAVPKHx.jpg

The DVLA may wish to inspect the vehicle or have someone from the Mini owners club do so before you are issued with the V5c

Contact us to discuss if you want  [email protected]

#3 Peterbst

Peterbst

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 07:44 PM

Thanks retrominis, appreciate you taking the time to reply and confirming my understanding of the process, Pete

#4 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:09 PM

The problem is that unless the bodyshell was new at the time the car was built into it (and you can prove that) the car should strictly speaking go on a Q plate.  You can only retain the original reg if the bodyshell is new from the original manufacturer (I believe BMH shells are accepted as original manufacture replacements).

Personally if you already own it I would do what Retroman has said as your not doing anyone any harm, if your looking to buy I would steer clear as the DVLA might inspect it and reject, however if its anything like the last inspection I had on a car (in 2008) they asked me where the numbers were on it, read them and gave me a V5.

#5 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:23 PM

As you can see a little bit controversial...

Call DVLA and see what they say..

My tuppence is the DVLA rely on the club's to certify the shells as the DVLA can't keep track of so many classics these days...

#6 Peterbst

Peterbst

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:31 PM

Hi Homersimpson, the bodyshell currently, certainly wouldn’t have been new new converted and in case I’ve no paperwork for that, so as it sits at the moment it would be a Q plate. I’m trying to convince myself that a BHC body shell and the original registration is going to be a good investment !

Pete

#7 Peterbst

Peterbst

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:44 PM

Hi, confusing yes.

But I think I am conforming to this section of the DVLA website on registering rebuilt vehicles,

Keep a vehicle’s original registration number
A rebuilt vehicle can keep its original registration number if you can prove you’ve used:

the original unmodified chassis or bodyshell (car or light van)
a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original (car or light van)
the original unmodified frame (motorbike)
a new frame of the same specification as the original (motorbike)
You must also have 2 other major components from the original vehicle from the following lists.

For cars or light vans:

suspension (front and back)
steering assembly
axles (both)
transmission
engine

Seems relatively straightforward, but always nice to get some confirmation. Did try the DVLA, very quick response, but didn’t really answer the questions!

Pete

#8 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:37 PM

You will have to take afew pics of the vin numbers the original reg and engine numbers to the dvla and some general pics of the car. Fill in the appropriate paper work and jobs a good en. I really don’t think you have to worry. The people sorting the paper work and pictures are not experts in what mk a mini body shell is.

#9 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:37 AM

As above you need the original or a new body shell rather than a second hand one of indeterminate origin. You will probably be fine but if you have any problems then the DVLA might be a nightmare.

As an example I'm trying to register an old Jag, all the numbers tie up with the heritage cert but the DVLA have the last digit of the chassis number down as a 6 on their records not a 5 and are telling me that I need to register it as a built up vehicle. There is no negotiation with them at the moment.

#10 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:31 PM

How did it gain an 80s body shell during restoration if it's been off the road for over forty years?

Did it get a new shell or a complete new car attached to the old vin plate?

Edited by CityEPete, 16 December 2018 - 01:32 PM.

#11 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:06 PM

Don't like to think about it, but that's the best part of 30 years anyway. Ten years of languishing in a garage as too loved or valuable to scrap or lacking the funds to start a restoration doesn't sound so unreasonable. 

The "convertion" would have been a viable option at the time without the DVLA points system or Heritage making shells to suit. You could even argue it still is (regulations shouldn't apply retrospectively), but I'm not sure I'd like to bet on it given the lapsed time and it wouldn't legally guarantee you your age related plate. 

#12 Peterbst

Peterbst

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

Hi, the car was in the same family since 1972, they also owned a Fiat dealership. The conversion has been done to a high standard, there’s a lot of work to get the smaller Mk 1 doors to fit, and it must have looked really good. But, the running gear wasn’t really touched still an inch of muddy oily grime on the bottom of the gearbox etc, certainly not to the same standard as the body work. I suspect the car sat in the corner of a showroom looking nice to bring customers in. Possibly it was taken off the road in about 78 because of rust or accident damage? No idea about the donor cars shell other than it wasn’t a Heritage shell as underneath and under the carpets it’s an unusual shade of red.

It’s a shame they didn’t get it registered back then, but they didn’t so that’s that. Possibly as a display car it was never really intended to get the car back on the road, not until the garage was closed and sold which is were I come in.

Pete

#13 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

but using what looks like a 1980 s bodyshell.

If its still has it's original scuttle panel, an 80's shell will have the original chassis number stamped into the channel...

#14 Peterbst

Peterbst

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

Thanks, I’ll have a look out of interest, but it’s going to have to be scrapped whatever, which seems a real shame.

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

Thanks, I’ll have a look out of interest, but it’s going to have to be scrapped whatever, which seems a real shame.

Don't scrap a good shell, there is no reason you can't sell your unwanted bodyshell for use in off road competition circuit racing/sprints/ rallycross, etc where the Mini will not need to be registered for the road with the DVLA. That way it will be put to good use and make you a bit of money towards your restoration.

If it is a 1980's shell with original chassis number stamped into the rear bonnet channel/gutter (usually on left side under rubber sealing strip above master cylinders) then you could put the number into Experian Autocheck to find out the original registration number and apply for the V5 to sell with the shell. To use the full dealer type HPI check you may have to ask a friendly car dealer or a forum member in the trade, although some paid for online HPI checks may also work.

Edited by mab01uk, 16 December 2018 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users