#1 Minimax234

Minimax234

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hi All,

I’ve currently got a 1998 SPI that im looking to do something with.

I have had a look around with what you can do whilst retaining the standard injection system in terms of getting more power out of the engine. Nothing has really taken my fancy and having some carbs laying around that could go on it has made me think of going down that route. But I have read about doing this conversion and that you will never get a carbed injection car through an MOT emissions test.

So I want to find out is if anyone knows if this is definitely the case? I also read somewhere (I forget where now!) that the emissions is tested by the age of the engine and not the shell that its In, I have no idea if this is true? And if so could you fit and older carbed engine in my car and pass the emissions test?

#2 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 05:21 PM

MOT testers guide states;

“If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that's older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine.

If a vehicle first used on or after 1 September 2002 is fitted with a different engine, you must test it to the emissions standards for the age of the vehicle.

If an engine has been modified in any way, it still must meet the exhaust emission requirements according to the age of the vehicle.”

From here
https://www.mot-test...tml#section_8.2

#3 Minimax234

Minimax234

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:11 PM

“If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that's older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine.

If a vehicle first used on or after 1 September 2002 is fitted with a different engine, you must test it to the emissions standards for the age of the vehicle.

If an engine has been modified in any way, it still must meet the exhaust emission requirements according to the age of the vehicle.”

From here

Thanks for your reply humph,

That’s really interesting. I wonder if anyone has ever ditched their injection engine an gone with an older carbed one. Mind you in sure its probably not that straight forward to do!

#4 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 07:31 PM

From here

Thanks for your reply humph,

That’s really interesting. I wonder if anyone has ever ditched their injection engine an gone with an older carbed one. Mind you in sure its probably not that straight forward to do!

It wouldn't be too bad but it would be much easier if you changed the wiring loom.

Many years a go I built a 1991 injection mini into a mid 1980's mini shell for someone, that was a right pain as the injection has all kinds of extra brackets and bigger holes that need to be made.

#5 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:07 AM

You have to prove the age of the engin.

How would you do that on an A / A plus engine?

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 09:22 AM

If your intention is to do the change to get more power out of the engine you won't be fitting a non-modified engine so won't be able to satisfy the MOT requirements. Why not just fit a programmable ecu so you can do  the modifications you want based on it still being injection .... there's still limits to how far you'll be able to go and still pass the emissions tests though.

#7 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 10:12 AM

Hi All,

I’ve currently got a 1998 SPI that im looking to do something with.

I have had a look around with what you can do whilst retaining the standard injection system in terms of getting more power out of the engine. Nothing has really taken my fancy and having some carbs laying around that could go on it has made me think of going down that route. But I have read about doing this conversion and that you will never get a carbed injection car through an MOT emissions test.

So I want to find out is if anyone knows if this is definitely the case? I also read somewhere (I forget where now!) that the emissions is tested by the age of the engine and not the shell that its In, I have no idea if this is true? And if so could you fit and older carbed engine in my car and pass the emissions test?

I thought 98 would all be MPI? My 96 car is an early MPI. 

Or is it a late registered SPI, or perhaps a jap car? 

#8 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 17 December 2018 - 11:08 AM

If you can stretch for it, sc's injection kit is a miles better option for a factory rover injection car.. honestly wouldnt go to carb if i could avoid it..  it's a backwards move imo. 

Edited by Midas Mk1, 17 December 2018 - 11:11 AM.

#9 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:41 PM

if it's an MPI then you'll struggle getting it through an MOT with carbs

In terms of mods for power most people (carb or injection) opt for bolt on mods, so lcb, decent head, filter etc. if this is what you have planned then the standard injection setup should cope just fine with the added benefit of the MEMS adjusting automatically for the mods.

If you're looking to go beyond this, so aiming for 85 BHP and up then the standard injection setup will hold it back, so something like the SC kit as Midas has mentioned would be the way to go

#10 Minimax234

Minimax234

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the replys guys!

Its a Jap car, hence the SPI for the age.

The SC kit looks really really good, but its a bit pricy for me. 

Are there any other options for the reprogrammable ECU?

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the replys guys!

Its a Jap car, hence the SPI for the age.

The SC kit looks really really good, but its a bit pricy for me.

Are there any other options for the reprogrammable ECU?

There are a few options available, names escape me unfortunately

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 21 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

Haltech is one;-

https://www.haltech.com/

They are very highly regarded, though I don't have any first hand experience, their software looks VERY easy to use (I recon even I can use it). I don't know how they stack up price wise.

#13 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 21 December 2018 - 06:12 PM

You have to prove the age of the engin.

How would you do that on an A / A plus engine?

You can  'prove'  it from the engine number prefix as they were different...

http://www.retromini...pos=v&chapter=0

pCBjAoIl.jpg

At the end of the day its up to you what's on an engine plate

#14 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:30 PM

Haltech is one;-

https://www.haltech.com/

They are very highly regarded, though I don't have any first hand experience, their software looks VERY easy to use (I recon even I can use it). I don't know how they stack up price wise.

Mighty Car Mods use them on all Thier builds so Haltech must be good

#15 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:40 AM

Mighty car mods arent that big experts to be honest.
Their lack of engine breathing on that supercharged mini brought a tear to my eye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users