#91 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:33 PM

Hi dude. How’s it all going? Eager for an update here!

#92 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:48 AM

Hi dude. Quick question as I’m looking at a mk3 850 and am wondering about the the change from magic wand to rod change gear shift as the engine/box I’m building will have rod change? I see you’ve got the KAD internal set up with a custom bracket for the round tunnel but does the rod still come through the hole towards the front or do you need to cut a hole in the tunnel further towards the seats?? PM me if you’d rather. Cheers!

#93 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Not MINI friendly

Posted 29 May 2020 - 01:35 AM

Been a while since I logged in but now feels like a good time to update you'll where we're at. Truth be told I was starting to get a little overwhelmed. December is always a busy time for me and with, Family Christmas, Company Year End, IR35 changes, moving into a workshop, and then COVID19 i've not done a lot to the car since November.

You'll notice the addition of a pressure sensor on each of the master cylinders, these will logged to the dash and can be used to help for brake bias adjustments. 

44FAS0r.jpg?1

BZzzqEp.jpg

UqzHcTf.jpg

qtGzaNz.jpg?1

Unfortunately i scratched up the paint pretty bad mocking up the steering and with aid of a safety pencil was able to get general seating position. Long term the dash will sit above the steering wheel like it does here: http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

7yOq3GW.jpg?1

AKAG6on.jpg?1

Rear is mostly there now and the fuel tank is in, battery, cut-off and PDM. Im still working on the rear loom but that's whole other topic :(

sRl9EsM.jpg

I had hoped to have all the fluid's plumbed by now & been holding out for my slot at the shop to have the lines done. Fingers crossed it's soon as I'm itching it fire it up!

NVXbK4b.jpg

Edited by Curley, 29 May 2020 - 01:54 AM.

#94 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:46 AM

Beautiful build - really like the mix of traditional exterior and ultra modern replacements for all the unreliable bits on a standard mini. Can't help agreeing with those who don't like the body colour arches - in satin black they wouldn't look so obvious - but at the end of the day of course it's your car! keep up the good work, won't be long now. 

#95 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:56 PM

Thanks John, I agree with the crowd black would look better. I've a set of standard group 2 arches on order (these are 'wide' version) which I'm going to have painted black. Not 100% sure I like the current front arches.

While avoiding the wiring I fitted the front brakes. I had to knock the inner corners off the inside brake pads as they fowled on the calliper spacer. However I'm not sure on the flex lines... does it matter the orientation of the 90?

QfTnG1q.jpg

mHqWt9e.jpg

Edited by Curley, 31 May 2020 - 07:58 PM.

#96 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:11 PM

A banjo should be omni-directional?

#97 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 09:32 PM

The most common place for the brake flex into foul is on the tie bar, so I’d orientate the banjo to give maximum clearance there (obviously without creating another problem elsewhere!)

#98 ajperry

ajperry

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:27 PM

I might be in the minority here but the body coloured arches have grown on me. I like them!

#99 RT2002MCS

RT2002MCS

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:18 PM

I might be in the minority here but the body coloured arches have grown on me. I like them!

I agree they look great

#100 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:34 AM

Fuel system plumbing done :) -8 pickup from the tank to pre-filter, and into the pump. -6 from the post-filter, through the rear set back, down the passenger side, up through the front, continues -6 into the fuel rail before doing a 180 back toward the pressure regulator. Then -6 all the way back to the rear, finally through a flex fuel/temp sensor, and back into the tank. Roll over and drip tube both plumbed to a fitting in the floor away from the centre exit exhaust.

5LRn9Q8.jpg

txtSbG9.jpg

PteAauB.jpg

4Y16E0l.jpg

0Q7pbpN.jpg

Fq5vg0Y.jpg

HbsmHWF.jpg

I had hoped the cooling system would 'just' work, unfortunately it was not quite as easy. Perhaps it's a 'feature' of running a pre '76 twin bolt subframe from an 850, a 1275 engine, an Arc Angels front end with the Mondo rad but we just could not get it to fit in the spaces available. I'd already cut the end off the clutch cover to make space for the air duct. but we had to cut, grind, and shave quite a bit off the transfer case. In doing so happenstance means we could take a leaf out of Rover's book and use the mounting holes in the MPI casting to relocate the alternator.  :D

UM97NQC.jpg

E4kdtFW.jpg

ovFeY47.jpg

Remote mounted the oil pressure sensor & warning light. Run the front brake lines through some existing holes in the dash. I had through about a T piece straight through the bulkhead but decided to go over the top & stay away from the heat of the exhaust.

CqRV0OF.jpg

zXIGugB.jpg

qPSSuPA.jpg

Final stage is to plumb the fire safety system, finish the brake lines, foam fill the doors and I'll have run out of reasons to avoid the wiring :goaway:

Edited by Curley, 14 August 2020 - 01:43 AM.

#101 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 01:43 PM

Shame about the damaged paintwork - there's a lot to be said for sorting out the positions for everything whilst it's in primer - not least because any holes drilled will be rust proofed. Excellent work, bet you can't wait to get it started. 

#102 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 02:28 PM

Just read all the build threads great work Curley whats the expected engine BHP ?

#103 Curley

Curley

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 08:42 PM

Thanks guys, I'd be disappointed if I don't get 100hp 100lb-ft from this engine. 

#104 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:32 AM

I’m sure you will see a lot more than 100hp. Lovely build by the way, really look forward to seeing how you get on with the Motec PDM. Being fed up with my mini’s electrics I have looked at Ecumasters PMU controller quite a few times...too many other projects going on at the moment to prevent me from taking the plunge.

#105 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 10:01 PM

Awesome build! Love the updates.

Can I ask what stockist you use fir the electrical wiring etc? Cant seem to find anywhere decent and Im going doen the custom route also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users