12 replies to this topic

#1 charliefarlie37

charliefarlie37

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

What lights are you folks using in your home workshops/sheds, at the moment I've fluorescent tube lights and after being under a car using led worklights the actual shed lighting is quite dim

#2 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

I have two 8’ tubes and two 6’ tubes which is good enough for general jobs but I will be changing them to either LED replacement tubes or panel lighting in due course.

#3 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:31 PM

I have 3 of these in my workshop/shed, previous light fittings i have used suffered from condensation, these ones have been in about a year with no problems.

https://www.screwfix...500lm-4ft/2979t

#4 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 09:12 PM

I like LED strip light tubes.

We have just had the workshop changed over to them and it's an amazing difference.

You can also get daylight type strip light bulbs that go in the normal strip light fittings. I have them in my spray booth and they are very good to work under.

Ben

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,899 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 December 2018 - 12:13 AM

Currently, loads of florescent lights, all 4 footers.

The colour of the ceiling above the lights and the walls makes a BIG difference to how any light makes brightness on the work area, as does how far the light is from it.

Diffusers and shades also make a big difference.

#6 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:28 AM

I have a twin tube 6ft batten in the centre of the garage ceiling for general work and a set of old kitchen spotlights above my workbench! These have been fitted with led bulbs and are very effective at lighting up the bench.

Also have one of those PIR bulkhead light that comes on as you open the door from the kitchen into the garage as my garage is like the black hole of Calcutta!

And because I’m old with poor near vision I have one of those angle poise illuminated maginfiying lights for those smaller more delicate jobs (hitting things with small hammers!).

Cheers, Steve.

#7 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:08 AM

Interested with this topic. I will be changing mine soon.

Thinking the led flood light type couple of them for the roof and a portable builders style working area lamp...

Their just not cheap.....

#8 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:42 AM

Overhead lighting can create large areas of shadow at the side of a vehicle, so as well as the obligatory 5’ fluorescent tubes on the ceiling I’ve added some additional lighting at a 45 degree angle to the wall. These work really well for getting light down the side of a vehicle. Choose 5’ over 6 or 8’ fittings as they are easier to transport home and I think more durable than 8’ fittings which seemed to go through chokes and starters far quicker than the shorter lights at my last house.

Lights in the garage are on 3 separate circuits all switched from the main door. Best bit of advice would be to add a couple of pendant lights connected to a PIR sensor. This way when other folks go into the garage to access the freezer, tumble dryer etc they don’t need to turn on the main lights, and forgot to turn them off for 2 days! I’ve this set up in both of the garages and it’s great if you just pop into the garage for a few minutes as the sensor is facing the main entrance door and the 2 pendant lights with led lamps come on straight away.

Attached Files

#9 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 09:11 AM

I have 30 of those downlighters that take a pair of 30w energy saving bulbs, in a 9 X 5 workshop, picked them up on Gumtree from a barbers shop for about £20. They're super bright, maybe not perfect but £20.

Will swap the bulbs or replace with LED eventually as 2Kw of light is a bit excessive, about 30p an hour at the moment!

#10 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:32 PM

Overhead lighting can create large areas of shadow at the side of a vehicle, so as well as the obligatory 5’ fluorescent tubes on the ceiling I’ve added some additional lighting at a 45 degree angle to the wall. These work really well for getting light down the side of a vehicle. Choose 5’ over 6 or 8’ fittings as they are easier to transport home and I think more durable than 8’ fittings which seemed to go through chokes and starters far quicker than the shorter lights at my last house.

Lights in the garage are on 3 separate circuits all switched from the main door. Best bit of advice would be to add a couple of pendant lights connected to a PIR sensor. This way when other folks go into the garage to access the freezer, tumble dryer etc they don’t need to turn on the main lights, and forgot to turn them off for 2 days! I’ve this set up in both of the garages and it’s great if you just pop into the garage for a few minutes as the sensor is facing the main entrance door and the 2 pendant lights with led lamps come on straight away.

Loving your Leyland sign!

#11 morley

morley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

I've done the same at my grandparents garage where the car is, angled is the way to go! I have x2 angled on each side and one in the middle.

If you haven't already then paint the walls white, this will improve things massively! 

#12 bartman

bartman

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

i use office style lighting, 600mm x 600mm with 4 tubes in each and a large reflector to deflect the light the are really good and super cheap secondhand i got 30 of them for just over £230 with postage off ebay.

#13 USA-Fin

USA-Fin

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

These lights are all the rage here in the USA for shops.

48"(121.92 centimeters) LED shop lights. They are $30 US each or about 23.36 pounds.

https://www.samsclub...plp_product_1_1

I've purchased 36 of them to put into the new 40'x67' shop I'm building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users