#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,897 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:10 PM

Nick, yes, they are for the 2 piece Cowlings. We had them right to the end of our local production in December 1981.

Thanks Moke Spider, I will source a timing cover without the breather just in case I have to take out the engine in the future, probably a lot easier job to when engine is on the stand. But I think I’ve manage to work it out with the one piece later cowl. It’s just part of the process when trying to use parts from different era cars to all fit and work together.

Just keep in mind the One Piece Cowling is for later Cars that didn't have the Cowling on the body. You should be able to get it all in, but is a 'neat' fit.

#17 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 26 December 2018 - 08:12 PM

Nick, yes, they are for the 2 piece Cowlings. We had them right to the end of our local production in December 1981.

Thanks Moke Spider, I will source a timing cover without the breather just in case I have to take out the engine in the future, probably a lot easier job to when engine is on the stand. But I think I’ve manage to work it out with the one piece later cowl. It’s just part of the process when trying to use parts from different era cars to all fit and work together.

Just keep in mind the One Piece Cowling is for later Cars that didn't have the Cowling on the body. You should be able to get it all in, but is a 'neat' fit.

It is indeed a very tight fit on my 1980 Longbridge built clubby estate

#18 roy1964

roy1964

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:39 AM

Right i have got everything in using a 1 piece later model cowl, it fits but i don't recommend it. had to cut sections out of the cowl and using the bottom bracket that i have the radiator is touching at the bottom ( inner guard ) but clears the top at about 1cm. So i think i will find a timing cover without a breather and go back to a two piece cowl. Any foreseeable problems with changing to cover while the engine is still in the car? or is it a engine out sort of job?

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,897 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:24 AM

You can change the Timing Chain Cover with the engine in situ no problem.

#20 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:17 AM

I used to 'set about' the 2 piece cowling, so that the larger top 1/2 was swapped to the bottom.

A smaller top 1/2 is much easier to remove as you can get at the screws, and with it out of the way, you can get at the bottom 1/2 more easily.

IMHO, the timing chain breather only becomes needed when the engine is clapped out............................and how do you know when the engine is clapped out?......................It is when so many fumes are coming out of the breathers into the carb, that it goes on running like a diesel when you turn off the ignition.

#21 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,897 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:42 AM

I used to 'set about' the 2 piece cowling, so that the larger top 1/2 was swapped to the bottom.

A smaller top 1/2 is much easier to remove as you can get at the screws, and with it out of the way, you can get at the bottom 1/2 more easily.

I actually make my own heavy duty cowlings in this way !

and for the same reasons you've mentioned.

#22 roy1964

roy1964

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:02 AM

Hi Moke Spider, Ive taken off the breather on the timing cover so that gives me a lot more room towards the the block. With the bottom radiator bracket that i have the radiator still hits the inner guard cowling. Part number 12A293. Can you tell me where you got that bracket #22A29 from?  Mini Spares UK don't have it. Cheers in advance. Roy

#23 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,897 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:33 AM

I'm not sure where I would have picked that one up from, there's a few suppliers I buy from.

Somerfords seem to have them;-

http://www.somerford...roducts_id=5921

#24 Azbornmini

Azbornmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Local Club: Classic Minis of Arizona

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:45 AM

Trying to stay with this topic, my question is which of these lower radiator cowls would be for Cooper S?

Classic%20Mini%20lower%20radiator%20cowl

#25 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:06 AM

The one on the right looks like an s version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users