Photo

Opinions On Bodywork Condition - Consider Better Shell?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FilthyLucre

FilthyLucre

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

Hello all!

As I have posted on the introductions , I acquired my current Mini last year - I am not totally new to ownership but this is the first time I will be tackling a project alone. I have no previous experience of welding or fixing bodywork , just of the mechanical bits!

Basically the shell is generally in pretty good condition - the wings , front , roof, gutters , are rust free . The floor and sills however are another matter . They have clearly been patched before and not to a good standard.

From the pictures below, (I can get more) , would you agree that they are beyond repair so to speak and that I am looking at new floor plans and sills at the very least?

I have spent a few weeks reading the excellent guides here but it still seems daunting - should I man up and give it a whirl myself or is this realistically a difficult task?

It seems a shame for me to hack an otherwise good car to bits before asking the question ?.

The pictures show footwell, floor and sills.

Many thanks

JT

Attached Files

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:54 PM

Looking at the pictures you have oversills fitted, so straight away you will need inner and outer sills. Also by the looks of it the rear floor has already been replaced before so on that particular side you may be better off doing a full half floor replacement.

This will include the inner sill so no messing around there. Also i would be tempted to chin off the seat crossmember and fit a new one as well. Lots of bodgery going on there so do not mess about with it.

#3 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:08 AM

Its hard to say what to do without seeing the whole car but looking at the pictures I would be looking to fit a complete floor into that, you can buy this complete with the outersills, crossmember and heelboard as a whole unit and its not a bad job to do.  You may find when you get into it that you also need a boot floor and again these arn't too expensive.

The floor assembly is here:

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

If you haven't welded before you certainly need to see if you can do this before starting, MIG welding isn't difficult but make sure that you use a gas MIG welder as the gasless ones with the cored wire don't weld very well in my experience. 

I use a Clarke 150TE welder from Machine Mart and have had it for over 15 years, its welded up many cars and does a lovely job, perhaps look on e-bay and see whats available locally as you don't want to spend a lot of money (or saw the bottom out of your car) if its not going to be successful.

Having said all that there is no reason why can't do this, we all started somewhere, I started with a gasless mig 20 odd years back and the weld was like pigeon poo!

#4 FilthyLucre

FilthyLucre

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:41 PM

Thank you both that is really helpful. I appreciate I've not provided much in the way of pictures , I'm just being a little cautious at the moment as i fear if I poke too much I'll make her unroadworthy and I would like a couple more days of playing out ?.

Having seen all the advice on here and noted your replies I think I'll order/seek a local MIG welder as you have suggested and practice on some metal. Depending on the results I'll then make my decision. I'd be happy to live with pigeon poo welds I'd necessary ?

Many thanks again and happy new year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users