Photo
- - - - -

Mk1 Inertia Starter

Best Answer Ruth's Mini , 31 December 2018 - 11:59 PM

I've attached some pictures to help show where I'm at with this problem. I have the shaft nut (11), main spring (12), washer (unlabeled), and sleeve (9) removed from the armature shaft. What I can't figure out how to remove is the pinion and barrel assembly which has the restraining spring (16) and control nut (15) inside. The pinion and barrel moves freely on spring compression down to the stop on the armature shaft. With the spring relaxed it will move about 1/4" up the shaft to an internal stop. The manual shows a washer (14) and retaining ring (13) around the sleeve (9). This retaining ring must be what secures it in place but I can't see anything. I was expecting to find some kind of internal snap ring holding the assembly on the armature shaft.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ruth's Mini

Ruth's Mini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:32 PM

I can't figure out how to remove the control nut from the pinion barrel on our starter. My manual simply says to remove it - but it sure seems to be engaged by 'ears' inside the barrel. It's probably something simple but I'm stumped!

thanks in advance from Canada,

Brian

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:50 PM

Think you compress spring first. They do (or did) make compression tools for these

#3 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 03:29 AM

If you are careful (cover your eyes!), I've compressed the spring using a vice and a pair of vice grips. A third hand is useful for removing the retainer...

#4 Ruth's Mini

Ruth's Mini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:59 PM   Best Answer

I've attached some pictures to help show where I'm at with this problem. I have the shaft nut (11), main spring (12), washer (unlabeled), and sleeve (9) removed from the armature shaft. What I can't figure out how to remove is the pinion and barrel assembly which has the restraining spring (16) and control nut (15) inside. The pinion and barrel moves freely on spring compression down to the stop on the armature shaft. With the spring relaxed it will move about 1/4" up the shaft to an internal stop. The manual shows a washer (14) and retaining ring (13) around the sleeve (9). This retaining ring must be what secures it in place but I can't see anything. I was expecting to find some kind of internal snap ring holding the assembly on the armature shaft.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users