#1 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:27 AM

Morning all.

I have just purchased a mini from my best mate who purchased a 2000 reg cooper sport 1.3mpi. Unfortunately he hasn't had time to fix it up and its bee sat on his drive under cover for a couple of years. 

He has decided to move on to something different so I have bought it off him as a project for my son and I.

I have built kit cars in the recent past and have not long sold a Westfield XTR2.

HOWEVER building a kit isn't quite the same as good old fashioned metal work and rust This is my challenge. 

The car I have purchased has some reasonable rust in the 'usual places' Scuttle, arches, round the lights so will need some hard work and effort, Where to start will be my first question when I pick up the car. 

My questions will be many and I know there will be advice a plenty.

Regards

Chris (and son)

#2 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:09 AM

Welcome and good luck with the project.  It is true that the metalwork will be the biggest challenge on any classic Mini project.

I'd recommend looking through the various projects on here for inspiration and an idea of what you're letting yourself in for!

Have fun!

#3 wilsonch

wilsonch

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for the welcome.
For the most part the real work will be the front end. The rear and the roof, doors are all OK.
I will be studying the build threads in the coming weeks/months.....and probably asking loads of questions :)

#4 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

Advice as above and buy some restoration books. Oh and learn how to weld, unless you already can. There wont have been much call for it building  a Westy, with all nice shiny bits and bobs to bolt together. Think more frustrating rusty nuts and bolts, rust in hard to reach crevices etc etc. But would I not have one...….nah. You did the right thing. Welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users