#1 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:28 AM

I have a 12" Mountney steering wheel for the road and have a larger one I use for autotesting.

Changing them is a bit of a pain and I hate heaving on the wheel.. sometimes I think the whole column is going to come off!

I was just about to get a cheep puller off ebay to do the job a bit better. However there seems to be a million different ones and none like the one I had in my head.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

#2 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:36 AM

Well, a couple of thoughts here, a 3 legged puller should get a mountney type wheel off no issue, but what's the other wheel? Does it have a lip to get pull on?

Also, can you avoid pulling the wheel? Either by swapping the wheel but not the hub, (helicoil the 6-8 hub bolts) that way the wheel should always be in line also...

Or look at those clip off bosses,

#3 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:37 AM

I always leave the nut on level with the top of the column and then a short sharp tap on this while pulling on the wheel loosens them easily.

#4 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:39 AM

Well, a couple of thoughts here, a 3 legged puller should get a mountney type wheel off no issue, but what's the other wheel? Does it have a lip to get pull on?

Also, can you avoid pulling the wheel? Either by swapping the wheel but not the hub, (helicoil the 6-8 hub bolts) that way the wheel should always be in line also... Or look at those removable steering wheel bosses, assuming you can find an aftermarket wheel large enough.

#5 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:40 AM

As above, I would look into a quick release steering wheel or drill one boss to suit both.

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

I regularly swap wheels for the same purpose and never have a problem. 

Once the splines have been cleaned up and given a very light smear of white grease the wheels come off easily.

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:33 AM

Undo the but by a couple of millimeters and give it hell with a rubber mallet

#8 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:00 PM

Hi. the second wheel is one of the standard plastic ugly things. There is a bit of a lip on the bottom so you could get something under there.

My dad used to have a puller which could be 2-legged or 3-legged, which would probably work...

I think the splines are OK as its been off and on quite a few times recently. Maybe i'm tightening the bolt too much as i find it really hard to pull the wheel off. Yes i am keeping a couple of turns on..

Haven't got a rubber mallet so don't want to whack it with a hammer.

[/url]IMG_20181231_153937 by Trissy B, on Flickr">http://<a href='http...c.kr/p/RLSM25'>32669314498_1859d738cc_k.jpgIMG_20181231_153937 by Trissy B, on Flickr

[/url]IMG_20181231_153948 by Trissy B, on Flickr">http://<a href='http...c.kr/p/RLSNod'>32669319088_6c0c0fccfe_k.jpgIMG_20181231_153948 by Trissy B, on Flickr

#9 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:41 PM

I hate hitting wheels to remove them, it just stresses out the column bushes and hurts your hands!

Just undo the nut a few threads then grab the steering wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock.  Push and pull the wheel in the positions described, in an attempt to rock it side to side.  This almost always gets them off without much fuss in my experience.

Also, don't do the centre nut up too tightly.  As long as it's lightly nipped up with the ratchet and has its shake-proof washer underneath, it won't come undone and you'll get the wheel off easily when you want to!

#10 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:05 PM

Hi. I did purchase a puller in the end. The wheel is now off with a bang. Must have done it up too tight.

Splines are all OK. A smear of grease applied and torqued up to 35Nm as per book.

As above that does seem too much given the lock washer?

#11 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:48 PM

I hate hitting wheels to remove them, it just stresses out the column bushes and hurts your hands!

It also deosn't do the lower bearing in the steering rack much good either.

#12 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

Hi. I did purchase a puller in the end. The wheel is now off with a bang. Must have done it up too tight.

Splines are all OK. A smear of grease applied and torqued up to 35Nm as per book.

As above that does seem too much given the lock washer?

Hi Trissy B, can I ask what puller you bought as I'm trying to remove the steering wheel from my MG midget and bought these from Tool station 79243.jpg

but they haven't worked as the front of the boss is much wider than the back so when I've tried to tighten the bolt it pushes the arms to far apart so they don't grip the boss.

I've just found this youtube video so may give it a try when I have an willing assistant but it could be a "when I nod my head you hit it" comedy moment.

cheers

#13 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

Yeah I have something similar but maybe bigger. Its a 6" version of that from Screwfix.

After trying in many different ways I found it best to keep it on 2 legs and actually pull it off using the back of 2 nuts.

It would help if you grew another arm. Or got a person to assist  of course.

#14 JDImini

JDImini

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

Yeah I have something similar but maybe bigger. Its a 6" version of that from Screwfix.

After trying in many different ways I found it best to keep it on 2 legs and actually pull it off using the back of 2 nuts.

It would help if you grew another arm. Or got a person to assist  of course.

Thanks Trissy B I'll think get one and give it a go, not sure where I get another arm from tho.

#15 nick@dunsdale

nick@dunsdale

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:31 AM

Just undo the nut a few threads then grab the steering wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock.  Push and pull the wheel in the positions described, in an attempt to rock it side to side.  This almost always gets them off without much fuss in my experience.

Also, don't do the centre nut up too tightly.  As long as it's lightly nipped up with the ratchet and has its shake-proof washer underneath, it won't come undone and you'll get the wheel off easily when you want to!

Never used a puller on a steering on any type of car the above method has always worked for me as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users