dreadster

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:45 AM

Hi folks

My fuel pump on my SPI stopped working so I replaced it. I thought while doing this I might as well replace the fuel filter as I don’t remember it ever been done.

Turns out the nuts on each side of the filter were really corroded and I could not shift them at all. I decided to just replace the inlet/outlet pipes, filter and filter housing.

Attached File  IMG_4564.JPG   66.15K   7 downloads

I have done this, but the pipe going from the outlet to filter pipe doesn’t seem right. If you can see in the attached picture the hose looks to have a kink in it.

Attached File  IMG_2578.JPG   73.96K   12 downloads

Attached File  IMG_8060.JPG   65.53K   4 downloads

Does anyone know if this is significant enough to cause any issues?

Cheers
Darren

----

Sorry about the post title typo - must be the fumes I think...

Edited by dreadster, 02 January 2019 - 04:51 AM.

#2 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

I'd go for a slightly longer length of hose to remove the kink.

#3 dreadster

dreadster

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

I'm not sure I can actually remove the hose from the pipe, seems to be fixed in place.

Part here: https://www.minispar...59.aspx|Back to

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

Move your filter forward, it'll position it properly and remove the kink.

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

Then the inlet pipe won't be right.

To me the hose looks too long.  Compare everything to the one you took off and look for the differences.

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:19 PM

Agreed, the hose looks too long, certainly longer than the original.

#7 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

There are two variants of this depending on the VIN. Recheck on minispares you have purchased the right one.
Fixed your title too...

FS

#8 dreadster

dreadster

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:05 AM

There are two variants of this depending on the VIN. Recheck on minispares you have purchased the right one.
Fixed your title too...

FS

Thanks for fixing the title.

I did order the MPI version, but that's because they now only sell the MPI version of the inlet pipe, which means I also had to buy the MPI fuel filter. I though this would mean the SPI outlet pipe would have the wrong connector on it.

#9 dreadster

dreadster

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:25 AM

So it looks like I need to order this version of the outlet pipe: http://www.minispare...c/WKB10018.aspx (Currently have this one https://www.minispar...|Back to search

)

Does anyone know if the hose length is different on these?

Also will that connector fit into the thread on the fuel filter I'm using: https://www.minispar...|Back to search Or will I need to use this one: https://www.minispar...|Back to search

Things were al lot easier when I was living in the UK and could just drive up to Minispares in Harrogate...

#10 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:35 AM

I would remove the clamp and disconnect the hose. Then "move the hose around" next to the pipe, pretending that the hose is shorter and see if the kink goes away. If it does, then you will know how much you need to cut the hose if indeed it is too long.   

#11 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

Looks to me as though the pipe is too long, but before you cut do as xrocketengineer suggests or use another piece spare pipe to do the same, don't want to cut and be wrong.

I approached this differently and did away with the bolted filter as mine kept seizing every time I wanted to change. I fitted a generic filter of the same dimensions (Vauxhall Astra, Citroen Xsara i think) with push on hoses either end & replaced the rubber hose. I couldn't find the standard pipe for the inlet when I did this.

#12 blackbelt1990

blackbelt1990

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,605 posts
  • Local Club: Minimus Maximus

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

Looks to me as though the pipe is too long, but before you cut do as xrocketengineer suggests or use another piece spare pipe to do the same, don't want to cut and be wrong.

I approached this differently and did away with the bolted filter as mine kept seizing every time I wanted to change. I fitted a generic filter of the same dimensions (Vauxhall Astra, Citroen Xsara i think) with push on hoses either end & replaced the rubber hose. I couldn't find the standard pipe for the inlet when I did this.

This is what I did, bought a generic see through filter and just put rubber hose to it.

#13 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

This is what I did, bought a generic see through filter and just put rubber hose to it.

Make sure it's the right one for fuel injection. The generic clear ones are a ticking time.bomb.as they're not designed to take the flow rate and 3 bar pressure.

#14 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

To me the hose looks too long. Compare everything to the one you took off and look for the differences.

Why didn't you cross reference it when it was removed? You only need to slightly bend the inlet pipe and it will all fit perfectly.

#15 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

To me the hose looks too long. Compare everything to the one you took off and look for the differences.

Why didn't you cross reference it when it was removed? You only need to slightly bend the inlet pipe and it will all fit perfectly.

Erm.. because I didn’t remove it? ;-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users