4 replies to this topic

#1 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:04 PM

Hi chaps do I need to completely remove the steering column in the car to replace the steering rack, I have the subby and engine out at the moment Hence doing this job now!
Cheers guys

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

Nope. Just remove the pinch bolt and maybe open the end slightly then you can pull the rack off. Loosening the upper clamp bracket can be useful.

#3 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

You'll need to fully remove the union at the bottom as it won't come off with the bolt in place. The rest, I don't see why you couldnt just slacken them off. If you can't lift the column out enough it's not a big job to remove it fully.

Make sure when you put it back together you reconnect the column before tightening the steering rack clamps, or the splines can be damaged resulting in lack of steering when you least expect it (usually resulting in you finding a nearby hedge or ditch, or worse).

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:59 PM

You won't need to remove the column to get the rack out, as the other guys have said, just be sure it's not getting hung up on the column though as it comes out.

However, when it comes time to fitting up, I think you'll struggle to get it back together without removing the column.

#5 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:15 PM

Brilliant, to be honest apart from the sheer bolt it looks relatively easy to just pop it out
Cheers guys appreciate it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users