11 replies to this topic

#1 germini30

germini30

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

Had my mini painted 4 years ago in 2k. There are microblisters on the roof and bonnet. Basically the horizontal surfaces. All the sides are fine and rear end. I don't want to shell out hundreds to put this right only for someone to do a cover up. I have painted before, have all the equipment, gravity fed gun, water traps, regulater and da sander etc. It seems to be in the top coat as if I cut the paint back the blisters smooth out only to come back later. I was wondering what modern cellulose is like as I may do it myself say april/may time once it warms up etc

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

You will need a separator coat of the Celly will react. I would find someone to put another coat of 2k on it. And maybe do most of the prep work first. It all comes down to who you know and what they do.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

Had my mini painted 4 years ago in 2k. There are microblisters on the roof and bonnet. Basically the horizontal surfaces. All the sides are fine and rear end. I don't want to shell out hundreds to put this right only for someone to do a cover up. I have painted before, have all the equipment, gravity fed gun, water traps, regulater and da sander etc. It seems to be in the top coat as if I cut the paint back the blisters smooth out only to come back later. I was wondering what modern cellulose is like as I may do it myself say april/may time once it warms up etc

The micro blisters will probably be in the primer coat, i am currently suffering that problem on my bonnet and will be sanding back to bare metal and start again.

#4 germini30

germini30

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:32 AM

I don't really want to spend another 2-300 quid or more just for someone to flat and repaint it for the blisters to return. Something tells me to leave it until the weather warms and do it myself. Barcoat, primer, paint and thinners etc won't even come to £100

#5 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:47 AM

I've not come across modern cellulose - I'm under the impression its all just cellulose?

I get mine from Hugs Paint on eBay, prices are very good, quality is great ...delivery is a bit slow, but I can live with that.  Cost to do primer, top coat, thinners, gunwash and supplies (paint strainers, measuring cups, tack rags ...) probably £150 plus, seems to be the little bits that add up - typical mini.

#6 germini30

germini30

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:49 AM

Yes that's about right. I will get a price locally if I flat it all, remove trims etc so all they would need to do is paint it just to see what price they come up with

#7 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

The micro blisters are usually down to moisture being trapped in the primer coat due to wet flatting and not leaving enough time before coat is applied. The cold weather brings them out and they can disappear completely on a sunny day. It can take a decade for them to pop up and NEVER cover a repainted car as it can draw them out like sponge.

The sides are usually OK as they get a blast with a heater but the upper surfaces retain the moisture. Its just down to a rushed job and lack of proper equipment these days,

i`ve repaired hundreds over 35 years, down the the metal and start again i`m afraid.

I still use cellulose on restorations as my personal opinion is it looks period correct and not plastic, Haven`t had any comebacks so they hold up well, that said my daily will be treated to a coat of 2K one day as it is outside all year round and originality is not a concern.

I find HMG cellulose to be the best of the bunch by a long shot,  look up Colourweld UK

#8 germini30

germini30

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

I was looking at jawel paints. I can da it back, etch it high build then topcoat at home

#9 germini30

germini30

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

Weird thing. I flatted an area last night with wet and dry 1500. Surface became smooth and flat.cut and polished it now where the blisters where are little dimples so dipped as opposed to sticking up and alot smaller

#10 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,895 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

There was a post on here many moons ago where someone else had the same issue. They paint striped the car and it was covered in spots of rust where the moisture had caused the micro blisters.

My wifes old mini developed the same issue when i sprayed it in celly. Complete and utter pain and in the end i sold it on. The garage that bought it flashed it over in a heavy coat of 2k to hide the pimples. I felt sorry for the next buyer.

#11 germini30

germini30

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

Seems odd that now flatted and polished the blisters are now dimples

#12 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:14 PM

Seems odd that now flatted and polished the blisters are now dimples

Likely gone through the paint to the original colour below? Maybe flatted but not primed before applying the later top coat?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users