Photo

Mpi Engine Revving But No Increased Power To Wheels.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gazpoole

gazpoole

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

Hello all,

Sorry if this is an easy one, really limited knowledge.

After leaving the mini sat for 12 months, I started it up this morning to see what condition it's in.

The good news is after leaving battery disconnected, it started first time and all seemed to be running smoothly. However, when pulling out of the garage, the reverse gear engaged and moved back at a gentle rate, on a deeper press of the accelerator, the car revved at a faster rate (which the revometer showed) but no increased power went to the car.

Took it for a quick spin around the block and the car moves at a steady pace in both 1st and 2nd gear but power to wheels remains unresponsive to the push of the accelerator pedal.

Any advice?

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:49 AM

Slipping clutch.

So, we'll assume when it was put away it all worked happily (ie the clutch wasn't worn at that point and so can't be now).

As it has been sat a while it could be that any of the clevis pins etc may have seized, or at least be binding enough not to allow the clutch arm to return properly. So likely suspects would be - pedal on pedal box shaft (although you'd notice if the pedal wasn't returning), clutch arm clevis pin or clutch plunger in wok (most likely).  Get an assistant to push the pedal whilst you watch what happens with the clutch arm - maybe video it and show us?

If it all moves as it should then it could be the primary gear oil seal has failed and allowed oil onto the clutch plate.

Edited by GraemeC, 03 January 2019 - 03:50 PM.

#3 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:01 PM

How much play should there be in the pedal before the clutch starts to disengage? My clutch also slips (inconsistently) but I'm aware that the slightest of pressure on the pedal will cause slip, which I'm sure can't be correct?

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:48 PM

Either the clutch is not returning full or you have it worn out or contaminated.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,940 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:49 PM

How much play should there be in the pedal before the clutch starts to disengage? My clutch also slips (inconsistently) but I'm aware that the slightest of pressure on the pedal will cause slip, which I'm sure can't be correct?

Well pressing the pedal cusses the pressure plate to move so yes it will slip.

How much impossible to say as it depends on wear and adjustment.

#6 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

Ha ha, maybe I was stating the obvious!

Very little actually, I bet I could make the clutch slip with just finger pressure, probably only a mm or 2 of movement. Not that I'm planning on using my fingers!!!!

#7 gazpoole

gazpoole

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:56 PM

Slipping clutch.

So, we'll assume when it was put away it all worked happily (ie the clutch wasn't worn at that point and so can't be now).

As it has been sat a while it could be that any of the clevis pins etc may have seized, or at least be binding enough not to allow the clutch arm to return properly. So likely suspects would be - pedal on pedal box shaft (although you'd notice if the pedal wasn't returning), clutch arm clevis pin or clutch plunger in wok (most likely).  Get an assistant to push the pedal whilst you watch what happens with the clutch arm - maybe video it and show us?

If it all moves as it should then it could be the primary gear oil seal has failed and allowed oil onto the clutch plate.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Will look at this tomorrow and report back.

Cheers.

#8 gazpoole

gazpoole

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

Slipping clutch.

All good.

A little bit of Plus Gas on the clutch pedal arm and plunger. Pressed it in and out for a bit then all seemed to work correctly.

It's been sat a year and is ready for an MOT, is there a list of things I should be checking after bringing it out of storage?

It was all greased up and serviced before going in the garage - Perform the same service on the way back out? Or are the other detailed things (such as a sticky clutch) should be tested and corrected?

I'm sure there's some information on the forum, I'll have a hunt for it.

Cheers.

Gaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users