9 replies to this topic

#1 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:31 PM

I'm about to do a Quadroptic headlight conversion on my son's '86 Mini .... is the connector type and contact layout the same as for the original sealed beam units or will there be some rewiring needed? I'd rather be prepared before I start taking it all apart!

Stu.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

You will need to cut and fit spade terminals to the sidelight wiring

#3 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:10 PM

Thanks for the quick reply :)

The units have come with pre-wired side light bulb holders so should be straightforward to splice in, the only part I'm unsure about is whether the sealed beam pin setup is the same as the H4 bulbs.

#4 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:22 PM

I am sure it was only the side light wires that needed altering when I did mine. 

#5 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

Safe and Upgraded Lighting Kits

https://www.wiredbyw...roducts-prices/

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

The H4 bulb is plug and play, no wiring needed. All you need to change is the sidelight wiring for the new units

#7 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

Brilliant, just the info I needed :)

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:48 PM

Brilliant, just the info I needed :)

If remember correctly the sidelight reflector should just unclip from the connector but the wiring will need cut reterminal'd to fit

#9 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:06 AM

Half the job done but hit an issue with the supplied parts, to say I'm disappointed would be a serious understatement, livid would be nearer to the mark. I've followed a few threads where owners have been very critical of some of the major parts suppliers, quality of rubber components, general fit of parts, etc, but until now my personal experience has been limited to a few badly fitting parts, very typical of what in days gone by we'd have just put down to the parts being aftermarket and not o/e. But this has really annoyed me.

Having got to the point where one of the new headlights was 90% fitted, new bowl, wires spliced as needed, a cable literally fell out of the sidelight bulb holder. On closer inspection of the bulb holder it became clear why and it certainly wasn't me being a little rough with the parts, the cable connections into the bulb holders have not been crimped with the correct tool but likely a pair of pliers. Oh how to make my blood boil.

I don't believe this is a Wipac parts issue, I'm sure the sidelight bulb holders have probably been wired by the supplier who quite evidently doesn't have the correct tool or know-how for the job. And if not how many other electrical components are similarly of a cowboy standard? I actually have the correct crimping tool because I've had to re-wire components on other cars due to bodged jobs by previous owners, but I don't expect this sort of crap from a major parts supplier simply because they can't be bothered using the correct tool.

I'll contact the supplier on Monday to get some replacement connectors that I can crimp on myself, I really don't want like for like replacements.

Attached Files

#10 Wizzalong

Wizzalong

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

Disgusting, I also have the correct crimping tool, Nothing worse than seeing bodged wiring!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users