Photo
- - - - -

Checking Valve Clearance With Engine In Car (Pro Motive 5Pw)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

has anyone with a pro motive kit  done the valve clearances with the engine in the car?

I have just done a quick compression check (dry) and the are all low (185,175,175,185) should be 210.  had a quick look and it isn't possible to get the timing cover off to see the timing marks so just wondering if anyone has done it with cam position etc?

I also have a knock coming from cyl1 which clears after a few mins of running but can still be heard with a screw driver against the cylinder wall. 

just thinking is it worth the ball ache or is it better just leaving it alone and driving it this summer then do a rebuild next winter. 

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:51 PM

If it's knocking pull the motor and investigate the cause, you'll only do more damage by leaving it.

#3 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:21 AM

If it's knocking pull the motor and investigate the cause, you'll only do more damage by leaving it.

the thing is if i pull the engine, it'll be head off, which will then need to be skimmed, new head gasket, valves lapped, stem seals, rings checked/replaced.  then if the engine is out and the head is off might as well do the bottom end.  All of which I cant afford at the moment.  

The knocking I can only hear if it has been sat for a couple of weeks but goes after a few mins once the oil gets round it.  and it has ran fine for the few weeks I have driven it.

I could pull it and only fix what it needs but is it not better to strip the engine once and do everything rather than a few times doing bits at a time?? 

#4 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

If it's only knocking for a few mins after sitting then you might get away with it.  Try an oil change first.  On my G13B one tappet occasionally knocks on startup, it's been like that for over ten years now and I just live with it.

Some bike engines run strange oil too ...because they get so hot..seen 10w50 fully synthetic in a few of them, apparently lower spec oils breakdown very quickly with the heat and can cause problems.  People often stick lower grade oil in because 10w50 is not stocked in the normal places.

#5 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

well for anyone who is interested, you can check them with engine in, not sure if you have inner wings fitted tho.

remove the thermostat and pipes then take cam cover off

remove slotted cover on timing cover

set 1 to TDC by rotating crank clockwise until the lobes on 1 are pointing away from each other and the line and dot on cam shaft and holder line up, measure 1 inlet x3 and exhaust x2.

rotate crank by 180 degrees, lobes on 2 should now be pointing away from each other measure 2 inlet x3 and exhaust x2.

rotate crank by 180 degrees, lobes on 4 should now be pointing away from each other measure 4 inlet x3 and exhaust x2.

rotate crank by 180 degrees, lobes on 3 should now be pointing away from each other measure 3 inlet x3 and exhaust x2.

so mine were fine waiting on a leak down tester coming to see if it is worn rings/bore.  either way I think I am just going to run it for the year then do a full engine rebuild winter 2019.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users