Photo
- - - - -

12G295 Cylinder Head Strip Down

Best Answer Homersimpson , 04 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

Just remove the clip and then use the valve spring compressor as normal, the clips were only fitted to hold the collets together as a bit of belt and braces.  If it does all fly apart there is something wrong with it but as ever be careful with compressed springs.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 04 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

Hi;

I have borrowed a Spring Compressor to strip down a couple of Cylinder Heads (12G940 and 12G295). I have done the 12G940 and today I thought I'd do the 12G295. 

I clamped the head down to my workbench and went to fit the spring compressor it was then that I noticed that the springs are held in place differently on this head that the 940. On the 940 the collets are held in place by the Top Cap and the force of the spring. On the 295 there is a sort of circlip.

If I pull the circlip my guess is I'll be hunting around the garage for the parts that fly off, that's unless I end up blinding myself!! 

The spring compressor does not look as though it will fit over the clip so should I try and slip it under between the clip and the top hat?

k44DDEc.jpg

#2 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

Suggest you get your self a workshop manual or do some research on this forum. Any way just pull those clips off and then use the spring compressor as you did on the 940 head. The colletts will not fly off :goaway:  :goaway:  

#3 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:11 PM   Best Answer

Just remove the clip and then use the valve spring compressor as normal, the clips were only fitted to hold the collets together as a bit of belt and braces.  If it does all fly apart there is something wrong with it but as ever be careful with compressed springs.

Edited by Homersimpson, 04 January 2019 - 07:11 PM.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

And when rebuilding, don't refit those clips, they will only come off and likely give you trouble.

#5 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

And when rebuilding, don't refit those clips, they will only come off and likely give you trouble.

So the clips are not needed then?

Thanks Moke as ever for your wisdom :-)

Thanks Homer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users