Photo
- - - - -

Anyone With A Carb Engine & Cat Exhaust?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

I need some advice on piping up the charcoal canister in the LHF wing. When this 93 IJ model came to me, some of the pipework had been bypassed, like the vacuum pipe from the carb went straight to the dizzy.

The Haynes manual, i've got, doesn't help a lot in this area and the EPC doesn't show enough detail or description to be able to work it out.

What I could really do with is a picture and/or descriptions of where each pipe comes from and goes to, so that I can get this engine back to where it should be. I know that it was a BL bodge, as far as the carb engine is concerned, but as the exhaust is fitted with a cat, I feel that the rest of the system should be working as meant to be.

Thanks in advance.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 05 January 2019 - 10:22 AM

We removed the charcoal canister and plugged the pipes.

There should be two vacuum takeoffs under the thermostat housing.

One comes from the carb the other uses a 3 way rubber connection to go between the canister and vacuum on dizzy.

By the way your engine will pass an MOT without a cat, it doesn't need it as earlier engines passed without them.

For the record my 1993 1275 sprite is at 3.0% co and passes every year

#3 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:31 AM

If you have a look on this thread that I posted on the automatic mini forum it should give you an idea.

Scroll down to post number 13.

http://autominiregis...tioning-gearbox

Edited by MikeRotherham, 05 January 2019 - 11:32 AM.

#4 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:51 PM

ripped mine out , then just did the carb to dizzy pipe on a 93 1275sprite 

#5 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

If you have a look on this thread that I posted on the automatic mini forum it should give you an idea.

Scroll down to post number 13.

http://autominiregis...tioning-gearbox

Thanks Mike. Thats exactly what I needed. Pictures went a long way to explaining things, especially as one of the legs on my T piece is blanked off.

#6 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield Mini Club

Posted 05 January 2019 - 11:08 PM

3WFJX3Q.jpg
Bit of a crap picture but this is my carb before I stripped the engine bay . You can see the two of the pipes that go to carb breather and overflow . Not the greatest picture but might be some help .

#7 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

Thanks Gillybobs. As before, pictures help a great deal, especially when you didn't have anything to refer back to!

#8 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

I'll try and get some more pictures this week as I'm just putting all back together .

#9 almarsh132

almarsh132

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini's

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

This may help ive put markers near the relevant pipes

Attached Files

#10 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

Thanks Al, that has just answered another question as to where the larger diameter pipes from the charcoal canister are connected to. Continuing my rebuild progress of finding a problem, buying appropriate bits, fixing that problem and moving to the next with a repeat of the steps, I now find that the vacuum pipe T piece fitted to the thermo housing adapter is broken on both top legs. Looking for a replacement, online sites appear to show the part number as TAM1305, but the EPC parts catalogue appears to show this part number as a large diameter t piece connected to the hose fitted to the outlet under the vacuum pipe on the canister. Also (if the parts catalogue picture is fairly representative), there are 3 large pipes and one vacuum pipe connected to the canister. I can see 2 large ones in your pic - is the 3rd missing or not required?

#11 almarsh132

almarsh132

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Local Club: Medway Mini's

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

Thanks Al, that has just answered another question as to where the larger diameter pipes from the charcoal canister are connected to. Continuing my rebuild progress of finding a problem, buying appropriate bits, fixing that problem and moving to the next with a repeat of the steps, I now find that the vacuum pipe T piece fitted to the thermo housing adapter is broken on both top legs. Looking for a replacement, online sites appear to show the part number as TAM1305, but the EPC parts catalogue appears to show this part number as a large diameter t piece connected to the hose fitted to the outlet under the vacuum pipe on the canister. Also (if the parts catalogue picture is fairly representative), there are 3 large pipes and one vacuum pipe connected to the canister. I can see 2 large ones in your pic - is the 3rd missing or not required?

TAM 1305 is the correct T-Piece, likely to be a mistake on their behalf, it is common for this to crack I had to get a replacement last year: https://www.ebay.co....&frcectupt=true

The Cannister has two large dia pipes ontop, the third is a rigid pipe which pushes onto the connector on the underside of the can. The plastic clip circled stops it flapping around. I know that there are a few different variations so might need to double check. The cannister was effectively a retrofit when the new emissions regulations came in, it was a rushed solution.

Attached Files

#12 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:52 AM

Again, thanks for the update and clarification Al. Much appreciated. However to add a bit of confusion, the EPC shows 3 rigid pipes - one with the larger T piece - and I think this is what I have on the IJ (without removing the canister to confirm) as I have a third pipe, which currently is just poking through the inner wing panel. Looks like one of my next missions is finding where they all connect to, as the EPC, nor the Haynes manual, give any indication whatsoever!

Attached File  Canister.jpg   76.42K   0 downloads

#13 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:47 PM

Further to my request above, I realise I should have looked back on this thread to see the pictures and parts list to understand what should be going on. So, I've now realised that some bright spark has purposely cut off one of the nylon pipes so it didn't get in the way, when they chose to bypass the charcoal canister. As I'm trying to reinstate everyting, and those pipes are not available separately, does anyone happen to have a spare set of pipes they would be willing to sell to me, before I resort to a Fleabay search for a generic pipe that I can connect to this shortened one.

#14 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:06 PM

What about this ? Think its the right one for your car .

https://rimmerbros.c...em--i-WTB100820

#15 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:49 AM

Good spot Gillybobs! Unfortunately close, but no cigar! The Mini one is WTB100760, not ...820. When I checked the rimmers picture, I was bothered by one of the vacuum hoses being connected under the canister, rather than on top. Plus its only one of the larger hoses that I am really in need of, rather than the whole setup.

I'm starting to formulate a plan, using a metal pipe joiner, to connect the remains of the pipe from the canister to the carb breather. Just got to find the right size of poly pipe for the job.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users