10 replies to this topic

#1 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:54 PM

Anyone have any pictures of twin electric fuel pumps in the boot with twin tanks? Just looking for advice on the setup and the model of pumps used.

Thanks

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:40 PM

I have twin FACET electric pumps, but I mount then under the rear seat base panel inside the sub-frame. The reason I do this is because I don't like the idea of twin fuel pumps with their electrical connections sharing a space with up to 11 gallons of petrol and a big battery. If something came loose in the boot and fractured the tank to pump pipe there would be a lot of petrol swilling about to short out (wheel-brace or jack, for example).

Mine are piped in parallel, with separate switches and fuses for maximum reliability. I have an aluminium cover plate made from 1.2mm thick aluminium which is bolted to the sub-frame edges. 

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

I reposition my original single electric pump inside the boot, tucking it, electrical connections first, under the bottom front corner of the tank with a very short fuel connection to the tank.

I also have a well dum dumed 5/8" cupro-nickel pipe through the cant rail that is curved up to end by the wiper motor, through which I pass a plastic fuel pipe.

(When the cant rail was not foam filled, I used to braze the pipe in place.)

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:21 PM

why? you only need one pump. if you want two you dont run one each tank you run then both from a T piece and run one at a time the second is just back up.

#5 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

Looking at a backup. Want to get it all plumbed in sooner rather than later.

#6 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Admin

• Admin
  • 4,348 posts
  • Name: Dan

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

79579361-B937-41-EC-A9-A4-A6677-C9-F7-E7
3-EA97772-C636-4378-AFA8-0-D24987846-AD.

I have two Facet cube pumps installed, one on each side of the tank.

#7 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:57 PM

I have twin FACET electric pumps, but I mount then under the rear seat base panel inside the sub-frame. The reason I do this is because I don't like the idea of twin fuel pumps with their electrical connections sharing a space with up to 11 gallons of petrol and a big battery. If something came loose in the boot and fractured the tank to pump pipe there would be a lot of petrol swilling about to short out (wheel-brace or jack, for example).

Mine are piped in parallel, with separate switches and fuses for maximum reliability. I have an aluminium cover plate made from 1.2mm thick aluminium which is bolted to the sub-frame edges. 

Do you have a drawing of the setup of the twin pumps? Not sure how they connect.

Thanks

J

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 06 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

79579361-B937-41-EC-A9-A4-A6677-C9-F7-E7
3-EA97772-C636-4378-AFA8-0-D24987846-AD.

I have two Facet cube pumps installed, one on each side of the tank.

What is the good of a Mini boot like that ?

There is hardly room for two toothbrushes for a dirty weekend !

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

Do you have a drawing of the setup of the twin pumps? Not sure how they connect.

Thanks

J

I don't have a drawing, but I can explain.

I have to have twin tanks as it is a Mk.1 1275 'S' FIA Group 2 rally car. The tanks have a balance pipe which ensures petrol feeds equally from each tank. There is a T-piece at the RH end of the balance pipe and this feeds down to another T-piece which feeds to the two pumps which sit side-by-side under the rear seat base panel just inside the rear sub-frame on the LH side.

From the pump outlets, two fuel pipes feed to a T-piece and from there a short flexible pipe joins to a continuous metal pipe running inside the car right into the engine bay. In the engine bay there is a pressure regulator before the fuel is fed into the twin carbs.

As for wiring, one pump is fed from the ignition switch. The other has a separate feed, via its own fuse to a switch on the navigator's panel with nothing else being fed from it, to the second pump. Each pump has its own earth for reliability.

#10 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

I fitted my pump to the rear sub

minirest4001.jpg

minirest4003.jpg

minirestoration1026.jpg

link pipe

minirest4002.jpg

#11 Jase

Jase

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

Thanks

J

I don't have a drawing, but I can explain.

I have to have twin tanks as it is a Mk.1 1275 'S' FIA Group 2 rally car. The tanks have a balance pipe which ensures petrol feeds equally from each tank. There is a T-piece at the RH end of the balance pipe and this feeds down to another T-piece which feeds to the two pumps which sit side-by-side under the rear seat base panel just inside the rear sub-frame on the LH side.

From the pump outlets, two fuel pipes feed to a T-piece and from there a short flexible pipe joins to a continuous metal pipe running inside the car right into the engine bay. In the engine bay there is a pressure regulator before the fuel is fed into the twin carbs.

As for wiring, one pump is fed from the ignition switch. The other has a separate feed, via its own fuse to a switch on the navigator's panel with nothing else being fed from it, to the second pump. Each pump has its own earth for reliability.

Brilliant, thanks, got it. Aiming to pick the pumps up at Bingley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users