Photo
- - - - -

Wheel Bearing Collapses After 10 Months Minimal Use.

brakes suspension

Best Answer M700FGT , 05 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

Hi all,

As a quick update and probably a finish for this topic, the Mini is fixed and back on the road.

The wheel bearing didn't fail through a manufacturing fault, it failed as it was incorrectly fitted by the previous garage. Im not as technical as some of you, but i can tell you the castle nut was very loose, but they really struggled to get the old bearing off.

At the same time as the bearing failed, the front right calliper completely seized due to age and poor maintenance. These have now been replaced with Mini Sport 4 pots. Not really had time to bed them in properly.

The second time i drove it after the fix there was a horrible grinding noise. The noise went and i took it back to the garage just to double check. They couldn't find any fault and i took it for a road test with one of their engineers. We think it might have just been a stone as i had driven on some gravel. 

If I'm completely honest, i think its going to take a while to build my confidence up again driving this car. Every time i hear a noise now i think the car is going to pull me into oncoming traffic again. Hopefully this feeling goes away, as i do love my Mini. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

ahhh the joys of Minisport.

take pictures of the new one before you fit it.

Will do.

Im finding they are all as bad as each other 

the best is Minispares. would not touch the rest unless i really really had to.

#17 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:56 PM

ahhh the joys of Minisport.

take pictures of the new one before you fit it.

Will do.

Im finding they are all as bad as each other 

the best is Minispares. would not touch the rest unless i really really had to.

Even Mini Spares themselves say the Timken on is the best. Their own branded one is just their cheaper alternative.... 

#18 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:45 PM

So my parcel arrives from Mini Sport today.....

Are BRT and Timken the same company?

BRT claim Timken are a customer on their website? 

Im confused if I've been sent an alternative / fake or the correct product. 

Attached Files

#19 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:11 PM

whats inside? when ever i bought Timken they cam in their own branded boxes.

#20 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:42 PM

I can't open the packet just encase, but it is the roller type just like Timken.

I also thought the same about the packaging when every box online has Timken packaging 

Attached Files

#21 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:50 PM

Some companies use timken bearings but in new packaging, check if the brand is printed on the bearing

Edited by cal844, 21 January 2019 - 10:51 PM.

#22 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

Some companies use timken bearings but in new packaging, check if the brand is printed on the bearing

Just managed to make out the name "Timken" through the packaging, so looks like its all good - despite despise the BRT box. Thanks for pointing that out 

#23 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:24 AM

I really seriously doubt Mini Sport would be purchasing enough bearings to qualify for a Timken Account. If they are supplying Timken, then at best, they'd be buying from a Bearing distributor, who would also be selling other brands.

As the other guys have said, it's not unusual to have Timken Bearings supplied in a non-Timken Box as Timken don't make seals, the wipers or the split pins.

Two things will let you know you have (most likely) Timken Bearings when buying them in a non-Timken Box;-

1) the 'Matched Bearing Assembly' Notice and

857f1ec13640261302c6854fad019838c9919eab

2) the plastic bag that the bearing are actually in (might be a bag in a bag)

2fa6de01696396a88285d561a16093a1ea26b73e

#24 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 05:33 AM

The Timken bearings are available as separate bearings from bearing distributors but the critical part for the mini application (which is unique) is the middle spacer which has to be machined to exact tolerances with the then matched bearings and this is why they cost so much as the market off take is not that large.

Critical to everything though is the condition of the built in retainer on the front and rear hubs.   

#25 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:04 AM

Would send those back. Not the first time mini sport supplied fake bearings. Your local parts shop will be able to get the bearings just as easily and faster .

#26 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:11 AM

I have often wondered why there is a spacer between the two roller bearings in a Mini hub.  is it a "left over" because one is needed when ball-races are used ?

On prewar front stub axles there was a substantial inner roller-race and a smaller outer one.  The nut holding it all together was tightened until there was no play, and then backed off sufficiently to insert a split pin.   No spacer between the bearings !

#27 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:28 AM

I have often wondered why there is a spacer between the two roller bearings in a Mini hub.  is it a "left over" because one is needed when ball-races are used ?

On prewar front stub axles there was a substantial inner roller-race and a smaller outer one.  The nut holding it all together was tightened until there was no play, and then backed off sufficiently to insert a split pin.   No spacer between the bearings !

One way to put this is these wheel bearings work back to front to 'conventional' wheel bearings.

On a 'conventional' set it, the axle is 'dead' and the hub spins around it, so the pre-load (or play) can easily be set with the nut.

On all FWD Hubs, this is reversed. The Axle is 'live' and the Hub is 'dead'. Additionally, the Live Axle also has to lock to it the Drive Flange and hold it in tight alignment, so the nut here, must be done tight. If there was no spacer, the bearing would simply be overloaded and locked.

#28 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:28 AM

I’ve had many bearings from BHK in Premier packaging - never had a problem or any suspicion of them being ‘fake’.

Whilst I’m far from the biggest fan of MiniSport, I think they do come in for some flak they don’t always deserve. I think some posters should be a little more careful with supplier bashing - it can be borderline liabellous.

#29 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

One way to put this is these wheel bearings work back to front to 'conventional' wheel bearings.

On a 'conventional' set it, the axle is 'dead' and the hub spins around it, so the pre-load (or play) can easily be set with the nut.

On all FWD Hubs, this is reversed. The Axle is 'live' and the Hub is 'dead'. Additionally, the Live Axle also has to lock to it the Drive Flange and hold it in tight alignment, so the nut here, must be done tight. If there was no spacer, the bearing would simply be overloaded and locked.

Thank you.  One less thing to ponder about in the bath.

#30 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

Thank you.  One less thing to ponder about in the bath.

ahhh but the rear?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users