Photo
- - - - -

Wheel Bearing Collapses After 10 Months Minimal Use.

brakes suspension

Best Answer M700FGT , 05 March 2019 - 09:56 PM

Hi all,

As a quick update and probably a finish for this topic, the Mini is fixed and back on the road.

The wheel bearing didn't fail through a manufacturing fault, it failed as it was incorrectly fitted by the previous garage. Im not as technical as some of you, but i can tell you the castle nut was very loose, but they really struggled to get the old bearing off.

At the same time as the bearing failed, the front right calliper completely seized due to age and poor maintenance. These have now been replaced with Mini Sport 4 pots. Not really had time to bed them in properly.

The second time i drove it after the fix there was a horrible grinding noise. The noise went and i took it back to the garage just to double check. They couldn't find any fault and i took it for a road test with one of their engineers. We think it might have just been a stone as i had driven on some gravel. 

If I'm completely honest, i think its going to take a while to build my confidence up again driving this car. Every time i hear a noise now i think the car is going to pull me into oncoming traffic again. Hopefully this feeling goes away, as i do love my Mini. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 March 2019 - 09:56 PM   Best Answer

Hi all,

As a quick update and probably a finish for this topic, the Mini is fixed and back on the road.

The wheel bearing didn't fail through a manufacturing fault, it failed as it was incorrectly fitted by the previous garage. Im not as technical as some of you, but i can tell you the castle nut was very loose, but they really struggled to get the old bearing off.

At the same time as the bearing failed, the front right calliper completely seized due to age and poor maintenance. These have now been replaced with Mini Sport 4 pots. Not really had time to bed them in properly.

The second time i drove it after the fix there was a horrible grinding noise. The noise went and i took it back to the garage just to double check. They couldn't find any fault and i took it for a road test with one of their engineers. We think it might have just been a stone as i had driven on some gravel. 

If I'm completely honest, i think its going to take a while to build my confidence up again driving this car. Every time i hear a noise now i think the car is going to pull me into oncoming traffic again. Hopefully this feeling goes away, as i do love my Mini. 

#47 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:42 PM

The feeling of unpredictability will go with use, I'm always cautious about driving after doing work that involves removing wheels and hubs. I always give the nuts and bolts that were disturbed a quick tightness check after 30 or 50 miles, wheel nuts always get retorqued after 20 miles

#48 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:49 PM

The feeling of unpredictability will go with use, I'm always cautious about driving after doing work that involves removing wheels and hubs. I always give the nuts and bolts that were disturbed a quick tightness check after 30 or 50 miles, wheel nuts always get retorqued after 20 miles

Cheers for that. I really do hope so, as I've spent allot of time and money on this car already. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users