29 replies to this topic

#1 Fastorq

Fastorq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:57 AM

I always thought that living in the UK meant that protesters and protests were legal as long as they were not violent/ inciting violence or race hatred or dangerous to the general public. These “guys” weren’t skinheads or yobs wearing masks and hoodies but mostly middle aged people wearing hi vis jackets expressing a general dissatisfaction in the disastrous situation we find ourselves in due to not only the conservatives but the entire Westminster pantomime of MPs

Apparently Anna Soubry wants “ the police to do their job” and stop protesters shouting abuse at her.
She believes that MPs should be treated differently from say, the president of the United States who apparently was, IMHO as a foreign diplomat and possibly the most powerful man in the world, allowed to be treated shamelessly when he came to the UK.

She now wants the law to be changed.

Well done the police for “ doing their job” and not arresting anyone or getting heavy handed.

Rant over
DavidR

Edited by Fastorq, 10 January 2019 - 06:46 AM.

#2 Bobbins

Bobbins

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:34 AM

I disagree.

Peaceful protest must be everyone's right but the protests we are seeing are venturing into the area of "whoever shouts loudest will be heard" ... a slippery slope to mob rule. I certainly don't agree with much of the drivel that is spouted by politicians, we have an issue where a substantial number are simply on an ego trip, but allowing protests AND keeping them peaceful is what maintains a civil and democratic society.

Stu.

#3 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Clan (MiniComic)

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

Might help your argument if you got her name correct....

FS

#4 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:42 PM

Apparently Anna Sudbury wants “ the police to do their job” and stop protesters shouting abuse at her.

Did you watch the footage of what happened? It wasn't the shouting that was the problem, it was that she was surrounded by hecklers ('protesters') as she tried to walk to her place of work.

No one cares about the shouting, it's that she was physically at risk. Remember, this is coming off the back of the death of Jo Cox. I don't blame her for feeling threatened when greeted with a scene like was seen yesterday. That behaviour isn't right, I would call the police if it happened to me while walking to work.

#5 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,916 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:22 PM

So, the government who slashed police numbers want the police to protect them.

Cuts have consequences

#6 Fastorq

Fastorq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

FS

Not big on contribution value......
But no shortage of sarcasm
Lol

#7 Fastorq

Fastorq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

"whoever shouts loudest will be heard" ... a slippery slope to mob rule.

Hi Stu,
That sound like a description of Prime Ministers Question time... lol

#8 Fastorq

Fastorq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:09 PM

Apparently Anna Sudbury wants “ the police to do their job” and stop protesters shouting abuse at her.

Did you watch the footage of what happened? It wasn't the shouting that was the problem, it was that she was surrounded by hecklers ('protesters') as she tried to walk to her place of work.

No one cares about the shouting, it's that she was physically at risk. Remember, this is coming off the back of the death of Jo Cox. I don't blame her for feeling threatened when greeted with a scene like was seen yesterday. That behaviour isn't right, I would call the police if it happened to me while walking to work.

Hi Icey

She wasn’t exactly just innocently “walking to work” was she ?
I suspect that in light of the recent horrific murder of PC Keith Palmer that the police were right on top of the situation.
Had there been any hint of violent physical contact they would have intervened.

Perhaps I didn’t represent my point particularly well.
Anna Soubry ( or Suds as she is known to her friends, FS ) appears to be using her self seeking political status to at best criticise our police and at worse influence the legal limits applied to demonstrations.

Who does she think she is!

#9 1968andyf

1968andyf

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:23 PM

She is an ex news reader now politician who knows how to play "the game"

#10 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:24 PM

She was walking from an interview with the BBC to an entrance of Westminister. I'm not sure how you can walk guiltily?

I heard this exact debate being played out on R4 this morning. One side saying that the behaviour was unacceptable, the other saying stopping it would be 'suppressing protest'. So let me put it simply - it is not OK to surround someone on the street and shout at them while videoing their reaction, regardless of their occupation or opinions. This is a human thing, not a political thing. If a group of people did this to you, would you feel comfortable? I very much doubt it.

By normalising this kind of heckling you're moving from political discourse to physical intimidation. It is not OK.

Edited by Icey, 09 January 2019 - 10:25 PM.

#11 Fastorq

Fastorq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

She was walking from an interview with the BBC to an entrance of Westminister. I'm not sure how you can walk guiltily?

I heard this exact debate being played out on R4 this morning. One side saying that the behaviour was unacceptable, the other saying stopping it would be 'suppressing protest'. So let me put it simply - it is not OK to surround someone on the street and shout at them while videoing their reaction, regardless of their occupation or opinions. This is a human thing, not a political thing. If a group of people did this to you, would you feel comfortable? I very much doubt it.

By normalising this kind of heckling you're moving from political discourse to physical intimidation. It is not OK.

LOL ... Google “Guilty walks”

When you become an MP or a Government Minister your political views, political correctness and indeed personal life becomes up for grabs. Having made the decision to become an MP as she has it’s pretty much part of the job description and you get paid a lot of money for that occasional 5 minutes of pain. I bet she is secretly delighted that she has got so much attention. Granted there is validity in your “simple” views although I don’t completely agree with them. Perhaps it’s unfortunate that reasonable people more often these days find a need to have their voices heard publicly and why should Anna Soubry have the individual attention of the media?? Shouting down the opposition and heckling ,have been normal behaviour for hundreds of years in Westminster.
I don’t believe that she was in any danger ... probably had to make a quick trip to the MP ladies washroom when she got back indoors tho.

Regds
DavidR

#12 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Clan (MiniComic)

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:20 PM

FS

Lol
You’re welcome.....

I’ve changed it for you as a contribution....

FS

#13 Fastorq

Fastorq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:24 PM

FS

Lol
You’re welcome.....
I’ve changed it for you as a contribution....

FS

Lol

#14 leyland73

leyland73

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:31 AM

I think knife violence and acid attacks in London should be receiving attention from the police, should be a mandatory sentence of 5 yrs for carrying a knife or acid, and life sentences for convictions of murder, London is becoming a lawless mess. Whilst the shouting and jeering goes with the job of being an MP, the jostling and mobbing whilst walking is a a different matter and should be addressed appropriately.

#15 Bobbins

Bobbins

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

I think knife violence and acid attacks in London should be receiving attention from the police, should be a mandatory sentence of 5 yrs for carrying a knife or acid, and life sentences for convictions of murder, London is becoming a lawless mess. Whilst the shouting and jeering goes with the job of being an MP, the jostling and mobbing whilst walking is a a different matter and should be addressed appropriately.

And it's a fraction of a second between jostling and mobbing, and a knife being pulled resulting in the stabbing of another MP. They're paid to take abuse, but they should also expect a suitable level of protection.

Edited by Bobbins, 10 January 2019 - 02:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares