29 replies to this topic

#16 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

When you become an MP or a Government Minister your political views, political correctness and indeed personal life becomes up for grabs. Having made the decision to become an MP as she has it’s pretty much part of the job description and you get paid a lot of money for that occasional 5 minutes of pain. I bet she is secretly delighted that she has got so much attention. Granted there is validity in your “simple” views although I don’t completely agree with them. Perhaps it’s unfortunate that reasonable people more often these days find a need to have their voices heard publicly and why should Anna Soubry have the individual attention of the media?? Shouting down the opposition and heckling ,have been normal behaviour for hundreds of years in Westminster.
I don’t believe that she was in any danger ... probably had to make a quick trip to the MP ladies washroom when she got back indoors tho.

So, I repeat - if this happened to you, would you feel threatened?

I agree that by going into politics you put your views, opinions and actions into the public eye but your safety should not be compromised. Again, I'll repeat, this isn't about the politics, this is about personal safety while on the street.

By excusing this behaviour you're saying it's OK to physically surround someone and jeer/shout at them because they hold a different opinion to you. I expect you'll play it down and explain it away as 'just a bit of shouting, no harm done' but in the current political climate these actions escalate quickly with often dangerous results.

#17 Fastorq

Fastorq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

Hello Icey,

Hope it’s not gone un-noticed that I rarely use the 1st person in my posts and out of courtesy never make it a personal, “you put , you feel , you’re saying , you’ll play , your safety , to you , your views” (and that’s just your last post) , timbre of response.

A lot of what I’ve posted has had an element of good natured humour .. always punctuated “lol”. Even FS joined in the japes
However,
IMHO you‘ve started to cross the line and as the OP I ask a mod to close this thread.

Post modified to correct a spelling error specially for you FS ...... LOL

Edited by Fastorq, 10 January 2019 - 06:29 PM.

#18 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

However,
IMHO you‘ve started to cross the line and as the OP I ask a mod to close this thread.

I’m sorry you feel that way, I only seek to get to the bottom of these debates, if it gets to close to the bone then the mods are welcome to edit/remove my posts.

#19 the.stroker

the.stroker

TMF Moderator

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Name: Dan
  • Local Club: RAF Motorsports

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

Between this and the brexit thread.......
It’s a mini forum, let’s get back to discussions on what the brake light switch does and do I need to trim my arches to fit 13 inch wheels

#20 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

It’s a mini forum, let’s get back to discussions on what the brake light switch does and do I need to trim my arches at fit 13 inch wheels

You know what, I could go along with a no politics rule. If seen these debates rip other forums apart.

#21 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,999 posts
  • Name: Neil
  • Local Club: EDMC

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

It’s a mini forum, let’s get back to discussions on what the brake light switch does and do I need to trim my arches at fit 13 inch wheels

You know what, I could go along with a no politics rule. If seen these debates rip other forums apart.

I agree, politics has no place in a car forum and yes as we have seen it can get all bitter and twisted very rapidly. I will see if i can actually do something about that with regards to the rules etc.

#22 Albannach

Albannach

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:42 PM

No Politics, Religion, Ethniticy, Sexual Preferences, Immigrants. Yep, I'd vote for that.
Jeez, that would make that idiot in the White House redundant. Hopefully?

#23 Bobbins

Bobbins

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:54 PM

Maybe time for a referendum? 🤔

#24 Fastorq

Fastorq

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

No Politics, Religion, Ethniticy, Sexual Preferences, Immigrants. Yep, I'd vote for that.
Jeez, that would make that idiot in the White House redundant. Hopefully?

Lol...

Hi Jim
In fairness to the OP ... me
The original post and title was not really about any of the above.
It wasn’t condoning or applauding the protesters, and it wasn’t slating any particular political party

My view expressed annoyance that an elected MP , it could have been any one and from any party was using their high level position to
suggest that changes should be made to the laws of this land because “she thought so.”
No doubt further questions and motions will be raised in Westminster now, she’ll get more media exposure and yet more Parliamentary time that could be spent on more important issues will be wasted.

See you this afternoon
DavidR

#25 johnR

johnR

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

It's easy to stop discussing awkward subjects that arouse passions but unfortunately putting your head in the sand doesn't make them go away.

I think exposing ones views to peer review is a good thing - some ranters certainly need to be told when their behaviour is inappropriate (please let me know). I have to say that I agree with those who think that the behaviour toward Anna Soubry stepped over the line. It's easy for us (mainly men) sitting in our armchairs to say that the protestors weren't threatening but these things get out of control very easily and the next step is a physical assault. Also there's the blatant hypocrisy - Brexit is anti migrant & nationalistic, far closer to Nazism than remaining. 

As to the reduction in Police numbers, don't get me started - it's one of the biggest failures of the current government and a disgrace.

#26 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:58 AM

I think this all about balance ...It's funny how this incident gets all the headlines on the BBC but with little or no mention of the abuse and hate the remainers have directed towards people with the opposite views.  

A good example is yesterdays BBC Today program section on Jaguar - the Jag spokesman said three issues were impacting sales

1.China not buying cars

2.They only made Diesels until recently

3.To a certain extent the uncertain surrounding leaving the EU

What do the BBC interviewers lead with - brexit is creating a job loss of 5,000 jobs at JLR, this was directly after the interview with the JLR spokesperson.

They have become so biased towards remaining every interview is turned around to a question of brexit.  You wait even Andy Murray's tennis retirement will be blamed on us leaving the EU by the end of day  :gimme:

And no I do not agree with the hate-words used against her, just like I do not agree with being told 'Brexit is anti migrant & nationalistic, far closer to Nazism than remaining'.

Lets all get a grip, I struggle to get any with my 165's Yoko's so I'd be happy to have some here!

#27 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:25 AM

They have become so biased towards remaining every interview is turned around to a question of brexit.

You do know they get accused of the same from the Remain side? They had Rees-Mogg on yesterday too for some balance and have had Farage on QT countless times. Many of their reporters have, apparently, shown clear bias in their reporting (shooting down remain voices while letting leave voices go unchallenged).

I can't remember what programme it was on, but they had someone from the Beeb talking about how they balance their output and the view was something along the lines of 'if you're being accused of bias by both sides, you're probably getting it right'.

#28 johnR

johnR

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

I think this all about balance ...It's funny how this incident gets all the headlines on the BBC but with little or no mention of the abuse and hate the remainers have directed towards people with the opposite views.  

A good example is yesterdays BBC Today program section on Jaguar - the Jag spokesman said three issues were impacting sales

1.China not buying cars

What do the BBC interviewers lead with - brexit is creating a job loss of 5,000 jobs at JLR, this was directly after the interview with the JLR spokesperson.

They have become so biased towards remaining every interview is turned around to a question of brexit.  You wait even Andy Murray's tennis retirement will be blamed on us leaving the EU by the end of day  :gimme:

And no I do not agree with the hate-words used against her, just like I do not agree with being told 'Brexit is anti migrant & nationalistic, far closer to Nazism than remaining'.

Lets all get a grip, I struggle to get any with my 165's Yoko's so I'd be happy to have some here!

Just to be clear, I don't agree with comparing any of todays problems with Nazism - they just aren't in the same league - however the two elements of Brexit I mentioned are historically comparable with the methods Hitler used to sway the German people - he blamed Jewish immigrants and the other European states for Germany's problems in a time of global economic downturn - comparable to the 2008 recession - so perhaps those Brexiteers using the term of abuse should read their history first.

#29 Bobbins

Bobbins

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

The mass media repeatedly return the subject to Brexit because that's what sells space / tunes the radio in / watch the channel, etc, delete as appropriate. They will take the viewpoint that makes the news (in their opinion) more interesting to us, not necessarily what we want to hear but it keeps them in business.

#30 mab01uk

mab01uk

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

1.China not buying cars

The BBC has been a 'left wing liberal bias' organisation for many years......but at least we no longer need to fund it via the TV Licence fee....

"You do not need a TV licence if you only watch content after it's been shown on television – UNLESS it's on BBC iPlayer. TV programmes downloaded or streamed after broadcast on other catch-up services are fine to watch without one.

If you never watch the BBC and only watch programmes using other channels' catch-up services, it's possible to legally ditch the TV licence and save yourself £150.50 a year."

Do I need a TV licence? 20+ TV licence fee tips:-

https://www.moneysav...ies/tv-licence/

Edited by mab01uk, 11 January 2019 - 08:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares