#1 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,414 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

After a failure I've bought myself a new SU pump.   On the literature it says it's a push pump but I want to mount it in the engine bay up by the wiper motor - does it really matter where it's mounted?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,581 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

yes it does matter. and that is a very poor place to mount it.

#3 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

Ok Nick. I have backup plan to put it down by the rear subframe. Why is it such a poor place to mount it?

#4 slidehammer

slidehammer

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

If you didn't want it exposed on the rear subframe (where BMC located it) you could move it into the boot floor that way it would push the fuel through. With the pump low you will get gravity feeding the fuel into the inlet side of the pump for it to then push along and up to the carb. 

#5 Rorf

Rorf

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

Its a push pump not a suck pump and needs a gravity prime?

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Local Club: Herefordshire Motor Club

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:37 PM

My two, pre decimal, penny-worth.

What is the difference, "push-me/pull-you" wise, between a Morris Minor fuel pump and  Morris Mini Minor fuel pump?

There is just room to fit a Mini fuel pump in the boot, under the lower front corner of the fuel tank.

A Mini fuel pump will work when placed near the wiper motor, provided the inlet pipe points upwards and there is about a 6" loop of pipe to hold fuel for priming it.

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • Local Club: Herefordshire Motor Club

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

After a failure I've bought myself a new SU pump.   On the literature it says it's a push pump but I want to mount it in the engine bay up by the wiper motor - does it really matter where it's mounted?

Why didn't you buy a Morris Minor pump ?

#8 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:06 PM

If you didn't want it exposed on the rear subframe (where BMC located it) you could move it into the boot floor that way it would push the fuel through. With the pump low you will get gravity feeding the fuel into the inlet side of the pump for it to then push along and up to the carb. 

It's a bit trickier than that - my car is a clubman estate so the tank is lower than the subframe...

#9 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

Why didn't you buy a Morris Minor pump ?

Because the car was (still is) stuck in the hospital car park I went for the one I could get quickly.  It seemed to suck well enough when we cobbled it together in the garage?

#10 Moke Spider

Moke Spider

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:35 PM

Tim, the 'standard' SU pump will - according to it's specs - only lift about 4", or put another way, the pump can be no more than 4" from the bottom of the tank.

Having said that, I have a new Pump in the Wife's Moke that about 2 foot higher than the bottom of the tank. It works fine - now - but in time ??? Mind you, I did this 3 years ago !!!

There is an SU Pump that is rated for this as used in the Morris Minor, but the output pressure with this is a tad on the low side. I was using these for a while, but the low pressure was an issue with some of the dirty fuels we are sometimes forced to buy (in out of the way places) and the cost of them is a bit out of this world.

Or, as used in my own Moke, I have the pump fitted about  18" above the bottom of the tanks, in this (and the other special builds), I'm using the German made SU copy offered by Mini Spares. No issues.

There is also a Facet Pump 'available' (listed), that will lift 600 mm (about what you are after) and has the right pressure for an SU Carb, but after contacting Facet a few years back to find a stockist, they did say that they hadn't made them for a while, but can do if we placed an order for 30 pumps,,,, Mmmm,,, I only needed 3,,,,

One question though with your current set up, do you have a filter before the Pump?

#11 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

Tim, the 'standard' SU pump will - according to it's specs - only lift about 4", or put another way, the pump can be no more than 4" from the bottom of the tank.

Having said that, I have a new Pump in the Wife's Moke that about 2 foot higher than the bottom of the tank. It works fine - now - but in time ??? Mind you, I did this 3 years ago !!!

There is an SU Pump that is rated for this as used in the Morris Minor, but the output pressure with this is a tad on the low side. I was using these for a while, but the low pressure was an issue with some of the dirty fuels we are sometimes forced to buy (in out of the way places) and the cost of them is a bit out of this world.

Or, as used in my own Moke, I have the pump fitted about  18" above the bottom of the tanks, in this (and the other special builds), I'm using the German made SU copy offered by Mini Spares. No issues.

There is also a Facet Pump 'available' (listed), that will lift 600 mm (about what you are after) and has the right pressure for an SU Carb, but after contacting Facet a few years back to find a stockist, they did say that they hadn't made them for a while, but can do if we placed an order for 30 pumps,,,, Mmmm,,, I only needed 3,,,,

One question though with your current set up, do you have a filter before the Pump?

Cheers Chris, informative as ever.  The plan is to get it mounted down round the tank, but it is a bit awkward with the tank being  about the lowest thing on the car but if it's specced for 4" it should be ok, I don't know what the setup on an original clubby estate was?  

I had a Facet pump briefly but I found the bloody racket they make ridiculous so I sold it before I even fitted it.

I do have a filter fitted but after the pump, I know it's not best but when I fit the new pump low down I'll address that.

#12 Moke Spider

Moke Spider

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:41 AM

You're always welcome mate ;D

The very early Estates had an electric pump in the rear subframe, then later, they had a mechanical pump on the back of the engine.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the sound of the Facet Pumps either.

In regards to the filter, some here may disagree, however don't fit one to the suction side of the Pump!  If the filter blocks, it will cause the Pump to stall in an energised state and burn out. They have a strainer in them and that's all they need. I think SU also say not to fit a filter on the Inlet side.

#13 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:17 AM

In regards to the filter, some here may disagree, however don't fit one to the suction side of the Pump!  If the filter blocks, it will cause the Pump to stall in an energised state and burn out. They have a strainer in them and that's all they need. I think SU also say not to fit a filter on the Inlet side.

That's logical.  I'll leave it where it is then, makes life easy :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares