Photo
- - - - -

Starting Woes

Best Answer finch661 , 13 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Thanks again for the suggestions. Pulled the starter and bench tested it and it worked fine. Refitted and had the same issues. Replaced the starter solenoid and bingo. Car turns over like it was new!! Phew! Cheap fix Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,273 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

Afternoon all, just a quick issue with starting my 1985 mini.  Basic details: 1275 with pre-engaged starter, new pug 306 diesel battery.

I have had a strange starting issue for a while, it’s very intermittent.  Basically, I try to start the car and most of the time it works.  However every so often (like yesterday morning), I started the engine and the crank was slow then fast and eventually the car fired up.  I left to run for a few mins, then turned it off.  I went back out about 20 mins later, and all I got was a click from the starter solenoid, the lights didn’t dim and the starter didn’t crank. Tried it last night and it started.  I have checked the usual suspects (earth straps) and put the charger on the battery (which didn’t need charging). 

My thoughts are:

1. Duff battery – but is about 5 months old, and has been working fine (and is a good make)
  2. Dirty connection  - checked and cleaned the earths, they all look ok
  3. Duff solenoid –  looks fairly original  - but assuming if it clicks, it is working?
  4. Starter motor -  has jammed or has failed?

Any thought?

Thanks

Rich

#2 paul748

paul748

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

I had exactly the same issues a while ago. Turned out to be the flexible earth strap near the top engine steady.

It looked OK apart from being discoloured with corrosion. I proved it by 'shorting it out' with a jump lead. Got a new strap from Halfrauds for a few quid. That sorted it.

#3 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

Starter relays can do this mine looked ok on the outside but was nasty inside.

Edited by dyshipfakta, 10 January 2019 - 01:36 PM.

#4 slidehammer

slidehammer

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:53 PM

If you are happy all the wiring is in good order and the battery ok, I would suspect the starter motor. It might be drawing too much current on start up.

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Local Club: Herefordshire Motor Club

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

MAKE SURE THAT THE CAR IS OUT OF GEAR !!!

Turn on the ignition and using a stout bit of clean metal, short circuit the NUTS that hold the cable from the battery and the cable to the starter, where they are bolted to the solenoid.

The reason for only using the NUTS is that NUTS can be easily replaced, should they get damaged.

Assuming that you do not take fright at the sparks, the starter motor should turn over really well,

#6 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:40 PM

I assume you've checked the connections on the starter itself? Rather than just earths. My mates RX8 had similar symptoms. The main power feed to the starter had worked loose.

#7 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. It's too cold and dark to check tonight. Went out to try it again, but it just clicked

#8 drooper

drooper

On The Road

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

check out/clean battery connections in boot

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,967 posts
  • Local Club: www.scottishmini.net

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:16 PM

Hiya mate, give all the earth and power terminals a good clean and a wee rub with some sandpaper (back to shiny copper) remember the engine earth.

If there's no improvement try getting a jump lead to earth the engine or battery to the shell

#10 finch661

finch661

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:12 PM   Best Answer

Thanks again for the suggestions. Pulled the starter and bench tested it and it worked fine. Refitted and had the same issues. Replaced the starter solenoid and bingo. Car turns over like it was new!! Phew! Cheap fix

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,967 posts
  • Local Club: www.scottishmini.net

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

Thanks again for the suggestions. Pulled the starter and bench tested it and it worked fine. Refitted and had the same issues. Replaced the starter solenoid and bingo. Car turns over like it was new!! Phew! Cheap fix

Glad it was an easy fix 😁

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares