5 replies to this topic

#1 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:59 PM

Seems to be hi lo branded ones and more budget ones.
Is there much difference
??

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:40 PM

yes lots. from the profile of the connection flange. to the means of making the threads in the alloy.

i would only fit the originals as the do improve the suspension with the standard cones.

have a read

http://www.theminifo...hive/?p=2617559

#3 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:31 AM

We have the budget ones fitted and I’ve not used a genuine set so can’t comment on how the ride varies. The mount profile does interact with the edge of the cone so if there’s a difference it will be noticeable.

My comment on the budget ones is.....they’re surprisingly good quality. I’ve not had a problem adjusting them after a couple of years on the car and the materials have stood up without obvious corrosion or degradation. The real-rest will be when it comes to changing the knuckles, if they’ve either corroded in place or deformed.

#4 Fastorq

Fastorq

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:42 AM

We have the budget ones fitted and I’ve not used a genuine set so can’t comment on how the ride varies. The mount profile does interact with the edge of the cone so if there’s a difference it will be noticeable.

My comment on the budget ones is.....they’re surprisingly good quality. I’ve not had a problem adjusting them after a couple of years on the car and the materials have stood up without obvious corrosion or degradation. The real-rest will be when it comes to changing the knuckles, if they’ve either corroded in place or deformed.

For what they are , it's difficult to see how budget ones could be any worse than branded ones.
I suppose grade of alloy could be a difference or quality of machining or dimensions maybe?

Which ones have you got .. Did you have to machine them (that's not a problem for me)
I could probably make a set myself if I had a pattern but the budget ones are so inexpensive.

DavidR

#5 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:07 AM

We’ve got the ‘standard’ units from Somerford - ASU001 and 002.

No machining, they just fitting.

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

For what they are , it's difficult to see how budget ones could be any worse than branded ones.
I suppose grade of alloy could be a difference or quality of machining or dimensions maybe?

Which ones have you got .. Did you have to machine them (that's not a problem for me)
I could probably make a set myself if I had a pattern but the budget ones are so inexpensive.

DavidR

rolling thread is more costly than cutting thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users