Photo
- - - - -

Complete Floor Replace Advice!

Best Answer cookie4343 , 13 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

Have a look at Ben o projects at Mill Road garage.Ben has added plenty of pictures. This should be able to help you out with the process.

http://www.theminifo...-isle-of-wight/ Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:04 AM

Well today didn’t go to plan the floors are shot! unfortunately so I’m going to get a complete floor with heel board, tunnel and sills attached basically the lot (genuine)
ADA36002 Is the product number, I’m no expert welder at all! so this is going to be a big job for me on my own but I think it’s the best job, the car is on a spit jig at the moment so I plan to sit the car on a pallet nice and flat and brace the he’ll out of it, I plan to drop some braces down to the floor and bolting them into seat belt mounts as a reference point to make sure it’s in the right place and height, for the heel board position I’ll get a genuine heritage subframe and new mounts and fit it in position bolting it through the boot floor so I know it’s in the right place, I will be removing the boot floor to at some point but I’m thinking my first job is the floor, I’ve a few questions
How high should I build my support frame to avoid difficulty getting the new floor in ?
Where should I take measurements from before I cut the floor out ?
Can I change the floor while it’s on a spit jig ?
Am I doing it in the right order doing the floor first ? Other Panels im changing include rear quarter panels, both door steps, boot floor and the front end
Cheers chaps sorry it’s a long one
Lee

#2 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:34 AM   Best Answer

Have a look at Ben o projects at Mill Road garage.Ben has added plenty of pictures. This should be able to help you out with the process.

http://www.theminifo...-isle-of-wight/

Edited by cookie4343, 13 January 2019 - 09:36 AM.

#3 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

That’s a great thread guys got some real skills, that’s what worries me I haven’t!!!!! ? my biggest worry is lining everything up.

#4 drooper

drooper

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:14 AM

best of luck mate , what mini is it?

i will be attempting similar repairs later in year once my welding skills are up to scratch and and i have got the the right tools together as its not just a case of buying a welder and angle grinder!!

#5 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

Cheers pal it’s a 98 sportspack, I’m the same collecting tools and stuff like you say there’s more needed than just a welder and grinder, I did my last mini with a gasless mig welder but people say it’s easer with a gas one, I’ve got my self a gas welder this time just need the big bottle of gas and some wire then I can practice practice practice ha ha!
Cheers

#6 drooper

drooper

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

if you havent allready have a look at sonnikk4 excellent right up on welding/tools etc , think its a sticky on here somewhere, its in painting bodywork section

Edited by drooper, 13 January 2019 - 11:41 AM.

#7 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:46 AM

Thanks drooper I’ll have a look mate

#8 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

Cheers pal it’s a 98 sportspack, I’m the same collecting tools and stuff like you say there’s more needed than just a welder and grinder, I did my last mini with a gasless mig welder but people say it’s easer with a gas one, I’ve got my self a gas welder this time just need the big bottle of gas and some wire then I can practice practice practice ha ha!
Cheers

If you can still get it BOC do quite a good deal on gas:

https://www.mig-weld...ne-offer.79928/

I use them and the bottle lasts ages (last size Y one - about 3 feet tall) was enough to do an entire MK2 Jag with some left over.

#9 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:57 PM

I only have one tip when you're welding, get a good mask. I recently bought a new maskthats adjustable. Man I realise I've just been blind all the time. It's a lot easier to see what I'm doing now and weld quality doubled.

#10 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

Thanks chaps

#11 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

Hi all any tips on painting in between the inner and outer sills on these complete heritage floors, obviously it’s all welded togeather already ?? also where’s the best place to get one from too I need the 1996-2000 one for the injection cars ADA36003 I believe is the part number.
Cheers guys appreciate it as always ??

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

Call M Machine for panels

I'd personally buy a paint Lance then Wax once it's done and on the car

#13 Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Local Club: Frome Mini Club

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

My personal suggestion is I wouldn’t do a full floor replacement without a jig as that guarantees that everything lines up!! I did a full replacement and used Slark as they seem to be the only people close to me who had the jig to do it...meant everything was exactly as it should be!!

#14 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

Hi Lucas what do you mean by jig ?

#15 Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Local Club: Frome Mini Club

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Hi Lucas what do you mean by jig ?

a jig means that when you weld everything together it all lines up straight and true and nothing is off. for my shell it meant that when we welded back on the top half e.g. what was left after the blasting (the roof, the front bulkhead and toe board) it all fitted with all the new panels that i used. I replaced most panels and every panel on the car had work but it was by no means cheap at the latter part of £9k without the cost of panels

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users