Photo
- - - - -

Complete Floor Replace Advice!

Best Answer cookie4343 , 13 January 2019 - 09:34 AM

Have a look at Ben o projects at Mill Road garage.Ben has added plenty of pictures. This should be able to help you out with the process.

http://www.theminifo...-isle-of-wight/ Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:41 PM

So is that a bought jig ? I plan on making a jig inside the car with it going to certain reference points, for exampl I’ll brace the doors then across the width of the car so it’s a square then I’ll weld bars off that down to the seat cross member for example and a few down to the floor this will insure the height of the new floor is correct, then I’ll pickup certain point like the seat belt bolts and for the actual position, might be worth mentioning I’ll be using a complete genuine heritage floor panel including heel board and sills.
Please tell me if this is wrong what I’m proposing to do ?

#17 miniallsort

miniallsort

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:28 PM

this is next on my list

#18 SamG

SamG

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:06 AM

I'm by no means an expert, but I did a complete floor replacement on my '72.

Here's my build thread if you want to read it. Any questions just ask.

http://www.theminifo...lt-restoration/

#19 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:47 PM

Great thread top work mate

#20 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:50 PM

Anyone know where I can get one of these complete floors from, I’ve found one on eBay but the seller will not respond to any questions for some reason I don’t want to say the name of the company but they are extremely ignorant!!! Anyway I’m off to bingley next week hopefully so was hoping maybe there will be 1 there, anyone reckon there will anyone selling them there ?
Cheers chaps

#21 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Anyone know where I can get one of these complete floors from, I’ve found one on eBay but the seller will not respond to any questions for some reason I don’t want to say the name of the company but they are extremely ignorant!!! Anyway I’m off to bingley next week hopefully so was hoping maybe there will be 1 there, anyone reckon there will anyone selling them there ?
Cheers chaps

Doreen at M Machine based in Darlington

#22 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:51 PM

Thanks cal844 but I’m after heritage panels as I know they fit, well should fit ha ha!

#23 Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Local Club: Frome Mini Club

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:27 AM

Thanks cal844 but I’m after heritage panels as I know they fit, well should fit ha ha!

I have to say that the full floors from m-machine actually fit much better than heritage and unless you want a later mpi floor that’s all you can get from heritage alll the other full floors are made by m-machine and sold by heritage as heritage use m-machines pressings. Heritage only have the pressing for the later type floor so that’s the only one available... I did a lot of digging and spoke to a lot of people before buying.
Doreen at m-machine can send you the exact floor you require I wanted a floor that would look exactly like the one that the car left the factory even if I was doing other more subtle modifications to the shell as well.

Edited by Lucas1988, 19 January 2019 - 07:28 AM.

#24 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:57 AM

R right I see unfortunately it is the later mpi floor I need it’s for a 1998 sportspack, that’s just my luck !!!! Thank you for the info I’ve now ordered a catalogue from M machines as I must admit there panels do look really good!

#25 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:07 AM

I thought the heritage floor was for the later MPI models. I bought my heritage floor from minispares to fit in my 91 carb model as I'm not too fussed with originality and the m machine full floors appear to be comprised of three separate parts and I wanted as few seams as possible.

M machine panels are still good though.

#26 Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Local Club: Frome Mini Club

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

R right I see unfortunately it is the later mpi floor I need it’s for a 1998 sportspack, that’s just my luck !!!! Thank you for the info I’ve now ordered a catalogue from M machines as I must admit there panels do look really good!

i think you have got a bit confused, heritage only do the later mpi floor nothing earlier than that. I had wanted to go heritage but because they only do the mpi floor I couldn’t.
Isn’t your car an mpi?

#27 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

My car is an MPI yes

#28 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

Sorry just read back through my post I meant it’s just my luck I can’t go M machine and have to go heritage as it the mpi I have sorry didn’t ward it right ha ha!!!!!
Thanks chaps

#29 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

Hi chaps complete floor ordered ?? Just a few questions im going to replace the complete rear quarters and both door steps, shall I do the door steps before I do the floor so that i have plenty to weld the new floor too, I also plan on replacing the complete boot floor so I won’t be able to weld the new floor to the seat base etc at the back until my boot floor is done if that makes sense?
The other question is do I have to take the companion bins out or not obviously I’d rather not if I can help it!
Cheers guys hoping to get a few hours upnthe u it tommorrow ???

#30 Verderad

Verderad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:10 PM

I’ve just done 2 floor halves, wish I had done a complete floor. I did the floor and heel board first, then I replaced the boot floor. That way I had the boot floor to locate the subframe to get correct position for heel board.
The door steps had been replaced before I got it so I had those to use for location.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users