#1 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:08 AM

Hi everyone,

Following on from my previous post where I was unable to change gear whilst the engine was running,but no problems when the engine was off...

http://www.theminifo...s/#entry3573904

... I have a couple of quick questions about the clutch. But first,by way of update on the above post, I found I had virtually no end float on the primary gear. That hopefully has now been rectified as it's .004 thou. The Idler gear end float measures in at .003 thou. I've read various 'preferences', some of which differ from the Haynes, but what do you guys think of these measurements? It's just a standard road car so do these measurements sound ok?.

My quick question about the clutch rebuild, and it may be a silly one, is as follows: It's an '89 model so has a verto clutch with new AP clutch plate. When I offer the pressure plate up to the flywheel, they fit together fine with no gap. When I add the clutch plate, there is a gap of 2.8mm between the flywheel towers, where the bolts screw into, and the pressure plate. So, the pressure plate sits just above the alignment dowels on the flywheel towers. Does this seem right?

I'm assuming this is so there is sufficient clamping force and the fact there is 6.5mm on the throw out, there should be enough to disengage the clutch but I couldn't find any information on this.

Apologies again if these seem simple solutions but I just want to get the car back on the road so thought I'd double check with you guys before putting everything back together again.

thanks again for all your assistance.

#2 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

Your clearances are perfect imho.
Dont forget to get the assembly balanced too. You can test for clutch disengagement with 2 clamps and a piece of wood ( or a big bench vice or press if you have one )

#3 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

Primary and idler gears clearance looks good but gap left when clutch plate in is not correct.

#4 Its a min

Its a min

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

Cheers guys.

Primary and idler gears clearance looks good but gap left when clutch plate in is not correct.

Rorf, I should have explained that the gap of 2.8mm is only when i place everything together, not when its all bolted together. When all bolted up, the pressure plate fits flush on the flywheel towers but I just wanted to make sure this won't cause any problems with disengaging the clutch given how much the pressure plate clamps down on the clutch plate. My concern is that the pressure plate is compressed by 2.8mm onto the clutch plate, that is quite a bit of clamping down and wanted to see if this would cause problems with disengaging the clutch.

However, my assumption is that, even tough the 2.8mm gap is compressed, with the throw out being 6.5mm there would still be approx 3.7mm play for clutch disengagement when the clutch is depressed. Do you guys think this would cause any problems with clutch disengagement/gear selection?

I only ask as there have been numerous threads about the quality and accuracy of parts these days as well as having experienced issues with new genuine Rover baulk ring sizes.

Thanks again.

#5 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:08 AM

That should be fine then, remember the linkage is pressing on the clutch release bearing which in turn depresses the clutch diaphragm steel fingers to release the clutch plate and that will only move about 6 mm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users