37 replies to this topic

#1 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:00 AM

I've been trying to revive my 1978 Canadian Mini 1000 that had been sitting in a garage for 12 years. I finally got it started and idling, but the radiator started overflowing after running for 15 minutes, even though the temp gauge is below 230. (by the way, the car is running a little lean, which could be causing things to heat up).

The water has a lot of rust in it, so I decide I should flush the system and add some rust treatment. Ran into a bunch of issues:

I couldn't get the lower radiator hose off. I guess I'll try to reach it from the bottom and force it off the radiator. But, if it's so hard getting it off, I worry that it'll be hard getting it back on too. Ant tips here? Should I just try to remove the whole radiator?

Next I tried to take off the thermostat housing, and that was a pain, because the housing has a bracket that the smog/air pump connects to. So I had to take that apart first because I had to twist the housing to try to get it off. And I couldn't take the bracket bolt without taking off the cylinder 1 spark plug :/ Furthermore, one hole of the housing has a stud with a nut on top, and it wouldn't come off. The housing twists around that stud but wouldn't come off! I tried a lot of WD40 but nothing...what can I do? I don't have access to welding equipment or a blowtorch. I was thinking of using a metal file to make a groove in the stud so I can maybe use a large screwdriver and unscrew it. 

There is no thermostat in the housing, there was no gasket...I think the PO removed the thermostat and did a poor job of putting it back together. I've ordered both parts but I can't put them in because I can't get the housing off!

I put things back together, and thought maybe I can improvise and just let water flow out of the thermostat housing to flush the system. I left the hose from the housing the radiator off thinking that that's where the water would circulate and enter back into the radiator. However, no water came out when the car was running. I checked and there's water in the rad. Also, a heater hose was leaking ( which I replaced) under the dash when the car was running, so I know that water is circulating up to that point at least. Am I thinking of this wrong? Water is supposed to flow out of the thermostat housing, right? Or maybe is the system really clogged up with rust that coolant isn't circulating? Could the water pump be bad? Any help here would be really appreciated!

Also, notice how the radiator is a different design from regular Mini rads, because of the smog/air pump. I couldn't find these for sale online...so just replacing this would be hard. 

7eUBh9w.jpg

Here's the housing: 

LlIkr1B.jpg

Closeup of the bracket:

m2AblAm.jpg

#2 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:27 AM

Canadian Minis are unique, aren't they?

Is it a requirement of your area that the air pump be installed and functioning? If not, it would be gone on my car.....

#3 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:54 AM

It helps with emissions, so yes, need it :(

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:46 AM

We got lumbered with the same emissions set up here from 1976. It can legally be removed as with modern fuels, it does nothing.

If you do remove it, then - if a replacement radiator is needed - you can change the Thermostat Cover as well and go over to the more common front hose type set up. There are a few places here in Aust that have the radiators and thermostat covers like your if you want to go that way.

Has your radiator got a drain plug?   It'll be on the lower tank, towards the front of it - if it has one. I think of that era, it would have originally.

#5 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:55 AM

We got lumbered with the same emissions set up here from 1976. It can legally be removed as with modern fuels, it does nothing.

If you do remove it, then - if a replacement radiator is needed - you can change the Thermostat Cover as well and go over to the more common front hose type set up. There are a few places here in Aust that have the radiators and thermostat covers like your if you want to go that way.

Has your radiator got a drain plug?   It'll be on the lower tank, towards the front of it - if it has one. I think of that era, it would have originally.

It does nothing? Maybe I can take it in for a smog test and disconnect the belt on the air pump to see what the numbers are. That would be the same as disconnecting everything, I guess.

I didn't find a drain plug towards the front of the car. Could it be on the other side?

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:41 AM

I doubt the system would still work !  But yes, why not get a before and after test done, then you'll know.

The plugs were only fitted towards the front end of the lower tank. If you can't see / feel it, then it may not have one.

By the sounds of things, you'd likely be better off removing the radiator and also the water pump too. Send the radiator off for a professional clean and have them fit a drain plug. Replace the water pump (they are fairly cheap). The cooling jacket could also do with a long soak with some CLR.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:57 AM

the rodents just love rubber don't they.

please note WD40 is good for nothing.  get a penetrating fluid if you were UK based I would say PlusGas but as in Canada try Liquid Wrench

https://www.walmart....n/6000077654035

some watching on different release agents I just found

https://youtu.be/xUEob2oAKVs

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:53 AM

WD40 sell an specific penetrating fluid too .. I just have visions of it containing the same fish-oil based water dispersant that is in the other cans ..

I know keep it for two things and two things only .. lubricating padlocks and the front wheel on my wheelbarrow .. when it is used up that will be the last time that sh*te darkens my garage! (It has been proven to damage rubber if used too often!)

Edited by gazza82, 14 January 2019 - 11:55 AM.

#9 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

I'm going to pick up some Seafoam Deep Creep and also ordered a stud puller. *fingers crossed*

@Moke Spider. Yes, plan to get a professional clean once it's up and running. Right now I'm just looking to get it running enough to drive to the smog test center. The smog result would determine how much I spend on this project.

Also, what's the cooling jacket?

Edited by psyb0rg, 14 January 2019 - 07:41 PM.

#10 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:29 PM

the rodents just love rubber don't they.

please note WD40 is good for nothing.  get a penetrating fluid if you were UK based I would say PlusGas but as in Canada try Liquid Wrench

https://www.walmart....n/6000077654035

some watching on different release agents I just found

https://youtu.be/xUEob2oAKVs

Check this too:

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

WD40 sell an specific penetrating fluid too .. I just have visions of it containing the same fish-oil based water dispersant that is in the other cans ..

I know keep it for two things and two things only .. lubricating padlocks and the front wheel on my wheelbarrow .. when it is used up that will be the last time that sh*te darkens my garage! (It has been proven to damage rubber if used too often!)

no fish in the original. yes they bought by a company that produced some good stuff (GT85) but we have no idea what is what so they have just killed a great product and name.

#12 72r1mini

72r1mini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

If it helps I have a 76 Canadian spec mini and my pump is long gone.

#13 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:44 PM

Why does the smog pump do nothing with modern fuels?

#14 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:13 AM

Where are you located? And does not having the pump affect emissions?

#15 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:23 AM

Also, did you have to do any modifications apart from taking the pump off to make it driveable? The pump is connected to the intake manifold, so I'm guessing the manifold will have to be either replaced or sealed off. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users