37 replies to this topic

#31 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:50 PM

We got lumbered with the same emissions set up here from 1976. It can legally be removed as with modern fuels, it does nothing.

Why does the smog pump do nothing with modern fuels?

There was a few chemicals in fuels that were made in the leaded days that this system 'managed' but these chemicals have been removed from the fuels that are available today.

Oh right.  I thought the smog pump injected air into the exhaust ports to provide an afterburning effect to the exhaust gas to reduce hydrocarbon emissions caused by unburnt fuel.

#32 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:50 PM

Isn't your 1978 car old enough that it doesn't have to pass emissions any more in California? Not sure what the cutoff year is but I have to think at 40 years old it should be!

Edited by Magneto, 15 January 2019 - 08:51 PM.

#33 Purplemini1972

Purplemini1972

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Local Club: Vancouver Mini Club

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:57 PM

California requires all vehicles to undergo a smog inspection EXCEPT:

• Gasoline-powered vehicles model year 1975 and older.

#34 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

Yeah...1975 :(

#35 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:05 AM

I took the whole radiator out today. There's a long bolt at the bottom holding the shroud that was holding the whole thing together. 

Sprayed Deep Creep on the housing bolt the last couple of days and tried pulling it with a stud puller but nothing. The housing won't come off. Also noticed that there's another stud broken in the head. I just thought it was missing but it's surely there. 

The radiator was full of dark green oily water, so might need a new head gasket. So, I think I'm just going to take the head off and take it to a machine shop to get new thermostat housing studs put in. I'll do a compression test before taking the head off to see what state it's in.

I have to replace the fuel pump so that'll become a little easier with the head off. Will replace the water pump too. 

By the way, is it possible the oil-in-water is not because of a bad head gasket? 

Edited by psyb0rg, 20 January 2019 - 07:06 AM.

#36 klivins

klivins

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Local Club: minimania.lv

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:58 AM

By the way, is it possible the oil-in-water is not because of a bad head gasket? 

Cant think its possible.

Im not familiar with that air pump thing though, can it if faulty get exaust gasses mixed with coolant?

#37 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

I took the head off. Some of the oil and coolant holes on the block were blocked with sludge, and it was probably overflowing into the gasket. I can't see any visible cracks anywhere. Will be taking the head to a machine shop to get the studs replaced and a valve job.

#38 psyb0rg

psyb0rg

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:58 PM

Cant think its possible.

Im not familiar with that air pump thing though, can it if faulty get exaust gasses mixed with coolant?

There's no coolant going into the pump so I doubt that. I've also partially taken off it's hoses and didn't notice any liquids. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users