#1 Harry!

Harry!

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:20 PM

So....

I'm back on the mini scene, with a mini city (all I could afford), with no engine (it was, after all, £50!).

Buttt! I do have the gearbox & engine & all the bits from a 1997 mk3 Golf GL kicking about....

Would that ever work?
Am I being stupid?
How much?
Where?
Will the questions ever end?
Was that rhetorical?
Was that rhetorical?

#2 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:52 PM

looks do able as you dont have the gearbox stick out anywhere...the problem looks to be the physical depth of the engine and how the intake and exhaust pipework is carried around the block.

Might be a tight squeeze.

#3 Mini Mad James

Mini Mad James

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:13 AM

:proud: why use a mk3 gl engine? when theres so many much better vw engines about!
VW do loads of performance engines like:

2.0L ABF (150bhp can be tuned to 220bhp)
2.8 VR6 (170bhp)
8v or the better 16v GTI (100+ bhp)
the supercharged g40 or g60 engines (?bhp)

the list goes on....

Edited by Mini Mad James, 21 October 2006 - 10:14 AM.

#4 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

but as he already has the gl engine it is easier because it wont cost him anything(cost of engine wise)

#5 mi16kie

mi16kie

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

All that work for 90 bhp is never worth it.Just get an a series or convert it to something with a bit of poke in it.

#6 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:50 AM

As above really. To get that engine to fit, if it indeed fits under the bonnet, is going to be a custom subframe job, which expect to take at least 6 months if your going to build the subframe yourself, and cost at least the same as a decently modified engine capable of 90bhp.

#7 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

i know you've already got the engine but if your going vag like me then your better off getting a highly tunable engine, i'm using a gti 8v which is already tuned but i'm going slowly upgrade the engine as and when i feel like it, like 2l conversion using a bora bottom end

my advise is sell up and get something more tunable, i'e better base engine

gaz

#8 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

www.16vminishop.co.uk

He sells a "blank" frame, which all you need to do is weld in your own mounts!!

Endless possableitlys with this frame, as long as your a good welder to do the mounts, it'll fit stright in...

AND you can keep the mini suspention cones, so no expense with coilovers n stuff...

#9 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:49 PM

i know you've already got the engine but if your going vag like me then your better off getting a highly tunable engine, i'm using a gti 8v which is already tuned but i'm going slowly upgrade the engine as and when i feel like it, like 2l conversion using a bora bottom end

my advise is sell up and get something more tunable, i'e better base engine

gaz

Gaz, what's the diff between what your doing and fitting a lower spec 1.8 and leaving the option of doing the same upgrades later?

At the end of the day, a 90 bhp mini (with shed loads of torque and a 5 speed box, get a 4+e box for a longer final drive) is going to be a fun car and reliable. If you know the engine's sound, then it makes far more sense than getting a gti lump from a breakers and fitting that. Yes it is going to be alot of work, but no more than building your own subframe for any other engine conversion that's not 'off the shelf'.

The only prob I can think of is as the exhaust is on the back of the engine, it might getin the way of the steering rack and need some thinking.

#10 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 09 November 2006 - 09:40 PM

theres more around for the gti lumps thats all i was implying, quite frankly anyone can what ever engine they want into any car, even if they wish to put a 500 fiat lump into a ford galaxy, its doable just alot of effot,

not putting him off the idea just throwing in some other ideas, considering i got my donner car for 300 quid, would be stupid idea to buy an engine for a conversion from a breakers yard, and the gl is a 1.6 if i remember correctly, not a very performance orrientated engine either, not saying it will be slow but, but if your not happy with the performance, it would be expensive to get the performance that is desired

and the difference is mine is a mid engine rear wheel drive conversion

gaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users