#1 jpyzowski

jpyzowski

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:40 AM

Hello All,

I'm a noob here so be gentle.  I'm trying to decode my VIN that was stamped under the rain channel in the bonnet area.  I've searched everywhere but can't seem to find anything that can pin point exactly what it is.  I'm told its a 1980 and all the signs point to it but the VIN has me scratching my head.  Let me know what you think.   XK2S1100717498.                  

#2 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:36 AM

Have a read here
https://www.minimani..._I__Revised_#80

#3 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:46 AM

XK2S1100717498.                  

This is most likely XK2S1-100717498 or maybe the last digit is 'A' instead of '8'.

Unfortunately it doesn't really tell you much, apart from the fact it's a round-nose 850cc Mini saloon of base spec (ie not deluxe/ Mayfair trim).  I have spent years compiling a database of numbers and still (with hundreds of records), I can tell you that very little matches up with the various numbering systems and it is not easy to specifically date a bodyshell as the serial numbers seem to be quite random at times.  You think you're getting somewhere then an original car shows up with a serial number miles out from the others...

Anyway, the number changed to a SAXX.... VIN in mid 1980, so you know it pre dates this, although, again, the riveted-on plate can show SAXXL2S1 while the gutter can show XL2S1, on the same car.

If the last digit is 8 and not A, that dates it to early 1980 as that's when they dropped the A.

If you still have an FE number on the left hand front inner wing, or a body number on the slam panel, that can tell you roughly when the body was made but again, no official records were kept and I've seen wildly different number ranges on cars from the same year.  If the car is relatively complete, there are quite a few week/ date stamps in various components that are useful.

I think your early 1980 guess is right and it will have been one of the last 850cc cars.

#4 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:35 AM

K3RA4Ij.jpg

Courtesy of Moke Spider from a topic on brake lines

Edited by richmondclassicsnorthwales, 16 January 2019 - 11:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users