#1 Vince208

Vince208

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

Hi,

I have just tried to remove the main nut on the rear hub, so that I can replace the rear wheel bearing.  The nut undid slightly (to the extent that there is a 0.5mm gap between the rear of the nut, and the washer).  However, the nut will not come back any further.  It will turn (both clockwise and counter-clockwise), but is not moving either up or down the thread on the hub bolt/pin.  The bolt/pin is not spinning.

I have never had this problem before, but I need to remove the nut.  Any suggestions as to how I should proceed would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

#2 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:01 AM

can you turn the nut and have an assistent 'push' the nut from behind with a screwdriver? Might help the nut grip onto the thread 

Hopefully its the nut that knackerd and not the arm!

Q

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

Don't forget it's left hand thread on the n/s rear

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

Do you have a nut splitter ?

If not, do you have a Center punch, drill and a chisel?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,931 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

Hi,

I have just tried to remove the main nut on the rear hub, so that I can replace the rear wheel bearing.  The nut undid slightly (to the extent that there is a 0.5mm gap between the rear of the nut, and the washer).  However, the nut will not come back any further.  It will turn (both clockwise and counter-clockwise), but is not moving either up or down the thread on the hub bolt/pin.  The bolt/pin is not spinning.

I have never had this problem before, but I need to remove the nut.  Any suggestions as to how I should proceed would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

which side of the car and which way did you turn it?

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,401 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

They both undo counter to the wheel rotation so they won't unscrew themselves while you're batting down the road at 50mph.

#7 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

They both undo counter to the wheel rotation so they won't unscrew themselves while you're batting down the road at 50mph.

Unless you're doing 50 in reverse ;-)

For what it's worth my guess would be as per previous answers. The thread has been chewed off the nut or shaft in that area and now it can't unwind. As already said I'd get some leverage behind the nut to start it on its way.

Edited by jime17, 19 January 2019 - 01:01 PM.

#8 Vince208

Vince208

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

Thanks very much for the help.  I had no idea that the thread was reversed on the near side - there is no reverse thread on the front near side.  That's clearly the problem - no wonder I found it difficult to undo - I will have stripped the thread - hopefully on the nut, not the arm.  I'll now try and remove it correctly - but I'm not hopeful.

#9 Vince208

Vince208

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

For what it's worth my guess would be as per previous answers. The thread has been chewed off the nut or shaft in that area and now it can't unwind. As already said I'd get some leverage behind the nut to start it on its way.

Thanks.  The nut cam off easily - when I turned it the correct direction.  Unfortunately the thread on the pin is damaged.  Is it easy to replace the pin/bolt? 

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 January 2019 - 03:17 PM

Thanks.  The nut came off easily - when I turned it the correct direction.  Unfortunately the thread on the pin is damaged.  Is it easy to replace the pin/bolt? 

It can be done, but not in situ, as it and the shaft need a several ton press to remove it from the radius arm.

#11 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

Might need a good second hand radius arm Is probably the cheapest and easiest fix.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,401 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

Thanks very much for the help.  I had no idea that the thread was reversed on the near side - there is no reverse thread on the front near side.  That's clearly the problem - no wonder I found it difficult to undo - I will have stripped the thread - hopefully on the nut, not the arm.  I'll now try and remove it correctly - but I'm not hopeful.

That's because it also turns with the wheel.

...getting the stub axle ouyt of the radius arm would take even more force than stripped the thread. As suggested, a replacement radius arm is likely your best bet. Be aware there's potential for more broken threads unbolting the bracket from the subframe on the outboard end of the arm a good clean and plenty of penetrating oil is in order.

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

Thanks.  The nut came off easily - when I turned it the correct direction.  Unfortunately the thread on the pin is damaged.  Is it easy to replace the pin/bolt? 

easy to replace yes if you have a 10 Ton press. but the arm needs to be off the cat. it takes about 6 ton to get it moving and a little less to keep it moving.

easier to get reconditioned arms. and a Haynes manual.

#14 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:54 PM

Vince you quite a strong dude to stripe that spindle thread :lol:  Pays to read the Haynes manual before attempting work like this on you mini - or ask the many fundis on the forum first.

Now it is going to be a big pain removing the arm etc etc

#15 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,931 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

some i c hanged a few years ago

KM1prrU.jpg

JAafkF3.jpg