• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:11 PM

Hi all
Just in the process of swapping a 998 to a 1275
1984 mini
1275cc is from a 92 carb mini

I have the new engine in and it's running but have a few small issues I need your help with.

Issue 1

The lower radiator hose is hitting the timing cover breather. I've looked on mini Spares and can't seem to find the correct hose

If it helps identifing the correct hose:

The old engine had the heater take off on the head , new engine is off the sandwich plate . So to accommodate this I've purchased the inline valve.

Issue 2
The old engine had a top and bottom engine steady.
Top one fits fine ,but the bottom one for the life of me I can't figure out where it goes. There are no brackets left on the old engine I did look for that. See attached picture.
See picture attached of steady

Issue 3
Carb (HS4)
Alloy inlet

Filter is resting against the bulkhead. Car has a centre Speedo and as a result I can't plug in the Speedo cable.

I'm assuming I just need to tilt the engine forward. My question is can I go too far with this ?

Issue 4

Top hose (see picture)

I've not fitted the bonnet yet but it looks like it will fowl the bonnet when closed.

Pictures are here

http://imgur.com/gallery/cQLi7vN

Sorry for all your questions and look forward to your replies

#2 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:17 PM

Rad hose should be this I think:

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Bottom steady should have a bracket on the bottom of the drop gear housing and the steady would go forwards to the subframe.

Originally the '92 would have had the engine sitting 1/2" further forward in the subframe, which would probably give you the clearance you're missing (obviously it also wouldn't have had a centre speedo.  Also the 1275 would've had a HIF38 carb (not that it would make much difference to your problem).  You have an adjustable top steady so you should be able to lean the engine over by 1/2" or so quite comfortably.

Edited by GraemeC, 19 January 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#3 Paulryanmini

Paulryanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:25 PM

Rad hose should be this I think:
http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Bottom steady should have a bracket on the bottom of the drop gear housing and the steady would go forwards to the subframe.

Originally the '92 would have had the engine sitting 1/2" further forward in the subframe, which would probably give you the clearance you're missing (obviously it also wouldn't have had a centre speedo.  Also the 1275 would've had a HIF38 carb (not that it would make much difference to your problem).  You have an adjustable top steady so you should be able to lean the engine over by 1/2" or so quite comfortably.

Thanks for your reply.
That's the hose I have sitting in my minispares basket. If I had known before fitting the engine I would have changed the timing cover to a standard type !

Yeah the plan is to change the carb in the next couple of months to a HIF38 once I find one for sale, but I guess there would be the same clearance issues with that aswell ?

I'll head back out now and tilt the engine forward and see can I find the mounting location you suggested for the bottom steady.

Thanks for your help

#4 Paulryanmini

Paulryanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

Moved the engine forward around 1/2 inch with the top steady.
Found the subframe mounting bracket for the lower steady. Can't believe I didn't spot it !

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:07 PM

Your problems will not get better by fitting an HIF carb, the hif carbs need the later subframe (engine is 1/2 inch further forward than previous years)

You can use the longer engine stabiliser bars for the 1990 onwards cars, it will improve clearance

#6 Paulryanmini

Paulryanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

Your problems will not get better by fitting an HIF carb, the hif carbs need the later subframe (engine is 1/2 inch further forward than previous years)

You can use the longer engine stabiliser bars for the 1990 onwards cars, it will improve clearance

Thanks for your reply. Have enough clearance just now from the bulkhead.
Don't have enough clearance for the Speedo cable. (Centre binnacle) think I'm going to go down the line of a centre dash

Edited by Paulryanmini, 20 January 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for your reply. Have enough clearance just now from the bulkhead.
Don't have enough clearance for the Speedo cable. (Centre binnacle) think I'm going to go down the line of a centre dash

Ah I see, I'd suggest speaking to speedy cables for a custom make cable, possibly with a 90° fitting on the Speedo end

#8 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:50 AM

I have a Weber on my car. To get the speedo cable to fit, I have a 90 degree adapter. Works well. It's from a 1960's Jaguar. I bought mine at a Jaguar wrecker's (dismantler in UK?) here in Oz..

#9 Paulryanmini

Paulryanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

Thanks guys I was unaware such an adapter exists. That will do the job nicley. I'll start searching for one .

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

The adaptors are very expensive for what they are, if you've yet to acquire the speedo going electronic might be easier and cheaper.

The gearbox casings should be identical, so there shouldn't be any issues with bottom steadies. 1275 blocks are about 3/8" taller, so that will affect the top steady a bit. It looks like there's a bracket for a clutch damper, suggesting the engine could be out of a Metro - that might explain your rad hose/ timing cover woes.

#11 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:09 PM

90 degree adaptors were also fitted to some Austin/Morris 1100 models and are usually as cheap as chips.

#12 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:41 AM

My adaptor was $20 second hand. One end screws onto the back of the speedo, the standard mini speedo cable screws on the other end..

#13 Paulryanmini

Paulryanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for all of your replies.
I was told the engine was from a early 90's carb mini but you may well be correct.

I've managed to get the top steady in and have the engine tilted as far forward as possible.

My options that I can see are

Find a 90 degree adapter
Fit a dashboard , this would pull the Speedo further from the bulkhead allowing the cable to fit.
Or as suggested a digital Speedo

#14 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

Adapter, easy peasy.., 

Edited by mikal, 22 January 2019 - 02:55 PM.

#15 Paulryanmini

Paulryanmini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

Adapter would be the easiest. I've sent a email to speedy cables.
I'll have a look on eBay this evening aswell to see what I can find

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users