Photo
- - - - -

Is It Possible To Reuse A Bullet Terminal Plug (Headlight Loom)

electrical

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

Hi all,

I'm just in the process or ordering new wiring looms from the from headlights.

Ive noticed the end that connects to the car is just bullet connectors with no plug.

I can't seem to find replacement plugs, so is it possible to remove the 4 bullet plug wires from the terminal plug so that it can be reused?

many thanks

Marc

Attached Files

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

Think there are tools to pop the pins out of the holder. Check on auto wiring sites

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

Or make 1 inch staggered cuts through the new and old wires, bare about 5MM on the ends and solder the new loom to the old and bind the joint with insulating tape.

#4 Sussex_pete

Sussex_pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

Where did these looms come from, as I've not seen one where the end that connects to the main lighting harness is terminated by a plug as you show in your pic. If you have got this on both headlights, how are they supposed to connect together. Its always been a double bullet connector on the Minis i've worked on - including the 93 IJ I have at the moment.

#5 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

Where did these looms come from, as I've not seen one where the end that connects to the main lighting harness is terminated by a plug as you show in your pic. If you have got this on both headlights, how are they supposed to connect together. Its always been a double bullet connector on the Minis i've worked on - including the 93 IJ I have at the moment.

I expect it's from an MPi, they had a completely different harness to earlier Minis (including the SPi).

Edit:

To answer the original question - yes you can reuse it you need to un-pin it. You can buy specific tools to do it, I made mine out of a broken lock-picking pick (hardened steel but very thin).

Edited by Icey, 21 January 2019 - 12:31 PM.

#6 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

https://autoelectric...product_id=2218

#7 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

EBay do pretty comprehensive sets for around a fiver.

#8 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:25 PM

Even if you manage to get the terminals out of that connector without damaging it, chances are that the bullets on your new headlamp loom won’t be the correct type to fit into the connector (no locating tang), won’t have the waterproof seals and probably won’t mate with the terminals in the loom connector.

If you want to use the plug, you’ll need to splice it on as per DeadSquare’s suggestion. Although I would individually heat shrink each soldered joint with adhesive lined heat shrink, before taping (or heat shrink) around the whole loom.

#9 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

Those connectors or at least the metal bit inside looks a bit like the ones on this page complete with the separate rubber seal. The outer plastic part that holds it all together is unique to your mini.

https://www.autoelec...t/43/category/7

It may give you an idea of how they separate and what each bit looks like.

Is it possible to remove the metal connector with something like a jewellers screw diver?

Edited by MikeRotherham, 21 January 2019 - 05:09 PM.

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

The trouble with "Digging them out" without a proper tool, is that unlike old fashioned soldered brass ones, the metal is very thin gauge and can be distorted so that on re application, the electrical connection could be less reliable

#11 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:32 PM

Can you show us the other end?

Is the plug male or female?

#12 M700FGT

M700FGT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

Turns out you just use pliers to pull the white bit out of the grey. The pins then push out.

The connector is genuine rover from an 97 MPI. The connector on the other end just looks like the other half of this grey connector, and is mounted just behind the headlights, the side closest to the engine.

I spent ages looking online, and i believe the pins are called Dupont. They usually wrap straight around the wire, but these are wrapped around bullet connectors.

None of the replacement wiring looms have these pins, so despite my best efforts to buy plug and play, this will need some work. Im just not sure if the best way is to buy the Dupont set. I would like to use the original connectors. 

Attached Files

#13 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:17 PM

I spent ages looking online, and i believe the pins are called Dupont. They usually wrap straight around the wire, but these are wrapped around bullet connectors.

Are you sure? That doesn't sound right to me but I'm happy to be wrong! A quick look at common BMW connectors and it seems it might be a KUM connector. Oddly, I can't find a supplier for those either!

#14 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:18 PM

I’m not sure what you mean regarding ‘wrap around bullet connectors’?

#15 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:20 PM

If by bullet connectors; are you talking about the picture above?

The bullet looking things are just rubber strain relief.

If you have bullet connectors on your new loom, just cut them off and crimp some new pins on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users