4 replies to this topic

#1 Wizzalong

Wizzalong

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

I'm getting closer to painting my '93 mini cooper, Black/white roof, I've painted under the floor and under wings etc. with 2k, I'm being advised that basecoat and 2k laquer is the way to go now, even with solid colours, What are your experiences and opinions? (i have air fed mask!)

#2 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

The only clear over base solid colour I have ever used was for red as it can fade quickly but I would avoid clear over solid as its a pain to blow in future repairs.

You will need an oven to bake the primer as it will shrink back and show any repairs when the sun gets to it. 

#3 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:00 PM

I used solid 2k on my car as I wanted to retain something similar to original, only issue I can see with clear over base at home is you can’t flat the basecoat prior to overcoating and if you get any contamination it can be trapped under the clear and can’t be flatted out, it also has a short window for overcoating so the clear bonds to the basecoat
But if I was doing a later car I would have probably used clearcoat, it’s easier to flat and polish and uv stable

#4 jonjosar

jonjosar

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

If its of any use to you, I've just painted mine. I used 2k solid Tartan Red, then 2k clearcoat over that. Prior to this, i  primed it with 2k primer about 6 weeks ago and let it settle in. Then rubbed it down this weekend with 400 wet and dry although i used a palm sander dry for most of it. Using a HVLP gun with a 1.8 nozzle ( only nozzle i have, great for priming but too big for 2k colour and definitely way too big for lacquer ), i screwed the flow needle in so it wouldnt put as much paint on. I've done a few bits and pieces before but this was my first time doing a full car. I,m not sure if this is the correct way to do it but with both the colour and the clearcoat, i put on a reasonably light coat first, let it flash off and then a good heavy coat. Waited for this to flash off and applied the 1st clearcoat like the 1st coat of red ( lighter at first), then when this flashed off, a heavier coat of clearcoat. The mixing ratio of the paint is very important. I downloaded the Technical Data sheet for both and even with paints made by the same manufacturer, there were different ratios. The paint i used was mixed at 2 parts paint to 1 part hardener with 10% thinners. Painted at 1.5 bar through a regulator. I,m not gonna touch it until this weekend to give it time to harden. The plan is to flatten the car this weekend. 

#5 Wizzalong

Wizzalong

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

Thank you, Very useful comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users