#1 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:00 AM

Hi

Im so chuffed (and feel a bit "boasty" ) to share the news  that my Mini is the cover photo,  and 8 page main feature car in the Mini World March edition magazine.

It on the shelves now at W H Smiths under the slightly  embarrassing banner headline "Retro Racer - Track-day Warrior" - you can see the cover in the earlier post by MABmini1 below about Mini Mag subscriptions

Lat year at the Brooklands Mini day in about Feb  I was approached by Karen Drury who writes articles for MW after I did the test hill   .... she asked about my mini,  and if i would be happy for them to feature it. We exchanged numbers and I thought no more about it till 4 months later I got a call to arrange photos.

About July in blazing sunshine  she and photographer Jim Jupp  spent a day (yes a whole day !) taking about million photos - I was able to pull a few strings at work and get use of the Brighton Royal Pavillion grounds as backdrop.

I asked my mate, its one former keeper  Ray who rebuilt the car about 9 years ago to join me  - he was its first owner - he reshelled it with a BMH shell and he rebuilt it. They interviewed us - asking a lot about technical details and our history with cars.

The article  features  a photo of my nan in 1965 with her new mini ......and my dad in 1970 installing strombergs - whilst smoking ! - into his mini and I was able to share memories of my dad and uncle who taught me about spanners and they modded and raced minis (amongst other cars) at places like Brands hatch and Lydden Hill.

Also it includes photos of me and my son at a Brands track day,  and mentions that my daughter has an identical colour Old English White with taxi black roof  MINI Cooper.

Minis are a family thing for us..- who would have imagined nearly 50 years ago my dad  would be in a magazine - fag in mouth - messing with a fuel system.

If you do get it,  I hope you enjoy the article - I just wish my Dad was still here to see himself in print.

Mini World also asked me if I would display it with other feature minis at  MITP at Mallory park on 18th August... which I hope to do so may meet some of you there,

Best from Brighton....

Matt

Edited by Matt Brighton, 22 January 2019 - 08:15 PM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

I have that issue already ?

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 January 2019 - 12:32 PM

Well done, great article and photos, I read MW at the weekend but did not make the connection with you on TMF.

#4 Mini Waco

Mini Waco

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 01:11 PM

My mag is a bit slow arriving to Texas, but I look forward to reading it

#5 sc-em

sc-em

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 06:23 PM

I must get a copy. I have just found  a photo of a Cooper we had which my dad actually pulled a caravan with. Must be early 70, or maybe even late 60's.

#6 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:01 PM

Nice one I will get a copy

#7 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

What a lovely Mini and family history of Mini ownership, a very interesting feature with some great pictures

#8 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

What a lovely Mini and family history of Mini ownership, a very interesting feature with some great pictures

Thank you, its a privilege to own and use, and a credit to my mate Ray who built it all himself ....

I know Im very lucky to have it and I enjoy using it to the full.

I hope that the article get across the versatility of a mini,  that is i think unlike most other classics.

Within a 2 week period  last year I

....took it to a local country pub classic car show concours event  

..... raced it at Goodwood

....and commuted to and from work every day.

Not many cars could tick all three boxes so well 

Edited by Matt Brighton, 24 January 2019 - 07:59 AM.

#9 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 24 January 2019 - 01:00 AM

I read the article, which I found very interesting. I had no idea that the car I saw at Brooklands last year (and again on Madeira Drive for the Speed Trials) had such a history. I also had wondered why it had a 1990 Cooper carburettor and air system when my 1990 Cooper had its original and similar system replaced by a more retro system by John Cooper Garages. The article convincingly explained why.

#10 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 07:53 AM

Thanks minidizzy - 

I often consider a different more traditional  air filter/carb  set up , mainly for looks  .... but it seems to perform very well with the later system and single HIF44 - even if it hides a lot of the engine and rocker cover.

I will be abusing the poor thing again in May at Goodwood - Bailey Sprint.

Its a grand day out as a spectator or a participant..... probably the only free chance to enjoy motorsport at  pricey goodwood as a spectator

I would recommend sprints and the speed Trails to anyone has a hankering to do more than just a track day with their mini.

Its an affordable way to participate in motorsport without the risk of colliding with other cars on a track day. You challenge yourself and your cars times rather than racing others , who might not be so worried about scrubbing up body panels..

You do need the proper current  FIA spec fireproof overalls/gloves and crash helmet. An MSA competition licence (non race so its not a "test", just a fee), and membership of a motor club that organises or members are invited to enter MSA events

http://brightonandho...speedtrials.php

Shopping list and approx costs...

FIA (I got used used)  nomex overalls - off e bay for £130 .... FIA helmet (£100 ish)  and nomex gloves £25.... National B non race licence from MSA (£40)..... join a motor club like the Brighton and Hove Motor Club = £20 pa.... Entry for a sprint /Hill Climb about £100

http://brightonandho...oodwood2019.php

Hope to meet you at an event sometime this year - on or off track - apart from Bailey and Eagle Sprints at Goodwood and the Brighton Speed Trials I also hope to be at Brooklands again as well as the  MITP

Best

Matt

Edited by Matt Brighton, 24 January 2019 - 08:46 AM.

#11 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:09 PM

Really good article Matt and nice photos. I never knew about that hill climb at Firle.

#12 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

Thanks

Pleased you like the article -

Here you go....

https://www.bopeepdriversclub.com

Join now - its only a tenner - and nothing needed to participate apart from a car.... take  a you tube at previous years events.

The highway dept are intending to install a cattle grid which may jeapordise the future of this event - we await further developments

All for "Charidy mate" .... as smashey and nicey used to say in the fast show...

Edited by Matt Brighton, 25 January 2019 - 11:29 PM.

#13 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:14 AM

Thanks. That website doesn't let on much, do you know when the event is?

I'm sure if there's a cattle grid they could just stick a temporary road plate over it.

#14 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

Provisional date is Sunday 22nd September.

Bo Peep Drivers Club are awaiting confirmation of the road closure notice, once thats confirmed it'll be announced.

Did you view the previous year on You Tube ?

Join the club to be sure - you get a nice sticker and lapel pin !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users