#1 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Help please folks! 

I'll need a new headliner for my MPI mini when rebuild starts. Did earlier cars have A/B/C pillar trims? Did it vary through the different marks?

Am I forced to fit an MPI specific liner, or could I fit an older version? I like the look of the bare pillars, but don't know if an MPI liner will be 'unfinished' at the edges if I don't fit the pillar trims. I'll also be fitting narrow window seals if that makes any difference to trim/installation.

Cheers,

Rich.

#2 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

Hi,
1. The MPI headliner is a soft foam backed material rather than the earlier vinyl. It’s easier to fit as there’s a wee bit more stretch in it. They stuck a bit of sound absorbing mat to the underside of the roof. I think it was an attemp to quieten / refine the interior a small bit.

2. You could fit an older vinyl one if you really want, though I way prefer the fabric myself. I have seen a car with a black MPI fabric headliner and it did look well. I fitted a vinyl one in an MPI for someone last year, think it was a cheap one fo a MK 3, did fit ok with a lot of fettling but it took me twice as long, don’t think I left a too good an impression in the workshop where I was working at it because of the time I took. It came with the wrong C post trims too and I had to modify them.

3. The MPI fabric liner is unfinished at the edges and left for you to finish as wanted. The C pillar trim fits straight over the top. On the A and B pillar I trim it about 1 cm longer than needed and fold it back on itself to make a better finish. On my own car, I glued some thin foam onto some grey vinyl like the stuff that trims under the back window and trimmed the A post with it putting it under the headlining. Worked out better than expected. Newton commercial make an A post trim that’s fittable after windscreen fitting. Think it’s a cardboard like thing covered in vinyl and held on with double sided take, has excess vinyl that goes under the door seal.

4. The windscreen rubber width will make no difference to the headlining. Never figured out why they used it in on the MK7. Thought it might have had something to do with the thicker windscreen glass they used because of the airbag but that’s a guess. Did hear someone say that the wider one traps water.

Wee tip - use the very heavy duty double sided tape instead of contact adhesive. Can get it in 5mm widths, is way cleaner, easier and works very well.

#3 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

Ps. The C pillar trims on an MPI are a slightly different shape at the bottom. There’s a bit of black fabric stuff glued between where the C post trim ends and goes under the fabric parcel shelf trim. The black fabric isn’t in any headlining kit I’ve seen. Last 2 I did I just used speaker covering material. Used the same material to line my door pockets and glove box.

#4 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:50 AM

Many thanks Alice. I was looking at the Optimise Automotive ones - there are endless options for material/finish.

Really I was wondering if I'm better going for a none-MPI headliner if I want an older look, with bare A & B panels. Or just get an MPI kit and only fit the C panels?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users