6 replies to this topic

#1 tony13

tony13

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 11:14 AM

Hello bit of advice really, looking at the 1.8 k series conversion but a couple of questions about the allspeed frame, if I buy the bare subframe of them they only gaunrantee the 1.6 will fit? How hard is it to make the 1.8 fit is it just a case of making mounts or is it a case of cutting the frame about? New to all this have looked through peoples build threads but couldn't reallt find the answer to my question , any advice is appreciated or any other advice regarding doing this conversion, tia :)

Edited by tony13, 26 January 2019 - 11:15 AM.

#2 PetePinnington

PetePinnington

Formally known as PPinno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

The bare subframe you can fit the 1.6 or the 1.8 as you have to sort the mounting out yourself. The built up frame is designed for the r65 gearbox so the pg1 gearbox (which I believe only came with the 1.8s) won't fit. Well, not without modifying the frame. Have you looked into the KJB frames?
I started to do a K series conversion with the KJB frame until I found a ton of rust so it's on hold until I sort that out.

#3 tony13

tony13

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for the reply, I haven't done I'll have a look into them over the next day or so, any reason why you used that one over the all speed frame? What engine and box did you use and if it was the 1.8 what did it fit like in the frame an did you have to modify it? Cheers again

#4 PetePinnington

PetePinnington

Formally known as PPinno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

I used the KJB frame because it is quite a bit cheaper than the allspeed. It's also based on the allspeed frame so its basically the same anyway. It also allows you to use mini bottom arms and tie rods which saves you a few hundred buying the allspeed ones!

All the k-series blocks are externally exactly the same from my understanding. I'm using a 1.4 block for now as I bought a good, cheap doner car. I plan to upgrade to the 1.8 eventually. I'm using the PG1 box as it's a much better box than the r65 and linkages etc are easier to fit. With regards to fit in the frame
.. no idea, I've not got that far yet but I can say it's a mission trying to find the correct mounts. KJB lost the info on which ones were used unfortunately. I know there's a couple of other guys who are using the KJB and are trying to sort mounts out so I'm sure it'll come to light soon enough.

#5 tony13

tony13

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

That's interesting to know, thanks for the info, I was planning on running it on 10s Purley for the look, I've heard some say that a diesel gearbox is better for this ad it helps it from spinning due to the gear ratios etc, would the diesel gearbox still fit in these frames to do you know? I'm more then happy to make some customs mounts up but my main concern is buying a frame then having to cut the frame up /modifying the frame to make the engine and box fit

#6 PetePinnington

PetePinnington

Formally known as PPinno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

I'll be a running 10s as well with the pg1 box. I've had a c4 code box built with the c6 ratios as from what I've read the c6 is the better one to go for. I think you can use the internals from a diesel box but I think parts are quite hard to get hold off? I'm Not sure though as I kinda skipped that bit!
I wouldn't have thought you'd need to cut either frame up, I think it's just the mounting that's an issue

#7 tony13

tony13

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:44 PM

That's what I thoight that it would justt be the mounts, but wasn't 100% sure and didn't want to be paying out for a frame and end up cutting into it, I think I'll give them both a phone call over next couple of days and see if they have any further info, thanks for the help though mate much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users